Jetguy

Well Known Member
Parts arrived today from Vans to finish out the new fix for the Fuel Tank. My serial number is 120079 and Im in Texas. J

Does anyone know what the new window is made of. Seriously considering eliminating it, sealing it with a plate, and, installing a local top mounted gauge (similar to those used in marine tanks), after initial certification. As such, you would be able to see it during refueling. Is this a weak point in the design?

Comments?

It might be me, but I cannot see the fuel tank window when flying to see the fuel level in flight. Certainly not east to see. My vote is for the mechnical marine fuel gage on the top so you can it while filling the tank. It will need to be mounted on the aft end of the tank, away from the fill spout due to the slope of the tank.

It might be me, but I cannot see the fuel tank window when flying to see the fuel level in flight. Certainly not east to see. My vote is for the mechnical marine fuel gage on the top so you can it while filling the tank. It will need to be mounted on the aft end of the tank, away from the fill spout due to the slope of the tank.

The reason for the site window was to replace the inhability to visually verify the fuel level during preflight and compare it to the fuel level indicator in the Dynon D180 like we do with any other airplane that you can open the fuel
cap(s) and view the level (can't do that in an RV-12).

It was not intended to be a fuel level indicator in flight (though I can see it just fine and have used in flight a few times "just to be sure").