Hornet2008

Well Known Member
Has anyone else had trouble screwing the fuel tank water drain into the tank?I can get it in a couple of threads but then goes tight. Had the same problem with the valve in the test kit. I tried the other drain and fitting for the STBD tank as they are not assembled as yet and have the same problem. Have searched the forums but seem to be alone on this one. Don't want to mess this up.

They are tapered threads and sounds like tightening correctly. You need to use some type of fuel lube or equivalent, it'll help allow some additional rotation without galling the threads. Btw, a sealant of sorts is required else fuel will work its way around and around the threads a leak ever so slightly. Maybe a search for fuel lube might explain better. Best to you, Jim

for 1/8 npt - 3 thds min

For industrial apps, we use 3 thd min engagement for npt or nptf (or jnpt, or . . . ). You could retap if you're feeling ambitious, but use a fresh tap and lube. You will make chips, have a plan to reach them BEFORE starting!

Usually an insertion and removal, followed by another insertion will get an extra half thread of engagement before hitting target torque. Reapply sealant between, remove all excess. Since the fittings you are talking about are not orientation specific, hand tight + 1/2 turn max should be good. See the FARS.

I prefer the teflon white goop for NPT between brass, alum and steel. I use a different product for natural gas lines/iron/steel on steel. NO TEFLON TAPE.

Rick 90432
Endless details and prepping for paint. AIrport in the fall(?)

Last edited:
Pete,
I would recommend to put some sort of lubricant/sealant on the threads as Frank said. Otherwise you may observe this.

leftdrain.jpg

White teflon paste works well on this. Worth buying/carrying an extra drain so that when you (inevitably) have a leak through the o-ring and need to change the o-ring, you can just pop one drain out and replace with the extra drain (which has a new o-ring). This works even with full tanks of fuel, though you will spill a few drops.

Greg