pilot28906

Well Known Member
How much proseal did you use on the fuel tank baffel? I am trying to decide if I need to order another can. I have both baffels to do and think that it takes quite a bit.

Thanks,

Order it. You will need it. Also it is good stuff to have around. Has many uses as you will come to find out. :D

Well, there probably isn't a need to order an entire can.

You can get one of these, tape it into a 2$ caulk gun from wally-world and be on your way. Of course these are a one time use thing.

I think I mixed up about 2 oz (approx. 100 grams) to do one baffle.

I ended up buying another quart because I was just short of that for the second tank. I've used it since then on the aileron and flap trailing edges, and securing the conduit in the wings. Looks like I'll get to use some more on the firewall. It is handy to have around.

I also ended up ordering a second quart. I used about 1 1/5 cans total. I used quite a lot on the rear baffle. I didn't skimp on the pro-seal by any means. I wasn't taking any chances! About 100 grams sounds right for one baffle. I then encapsulated the baffle shop heads, so add 30-50 grams on top of that.

Thanks for the replies; I will probably need to uy another can.

I have a few more questions on the baffel:

1) Why is the baffel flange not "buttered up" with proseal as each rib? It seems that this would provide a better seal?
2) Is the shop heads on the rivets supposed to get covered in proseal?
3) Should there be a fillet around the baffel flange like the ribs?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I get this right.

Thanks,

Thanks for the replies; I will probably need to uy another can.

I have a few more questions on the baffel:

1) Why is the baffel flange not "buttered up" with proseal as each rib? It seems that this would provide a better seal?
2) Is the shop heads on the rivets supposed to get covered in proseal?
3) Should there be a fillet around the baffel flange like the ribs?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I get this right.

Thanks,

1: I found that if you butter up the baffle flange, you just get proseal everywhere. I did that on the first tank and made a mess. On the second tank, I masked and buttered up the skin, with an extra bead just forward of the rivet line, that worked great.

2: Probably not, but I put proseal everywhere.

3: When you slide the baffle into place, the excess proseal will be forced forward forming a semi-filet on the inside. I just smoothed the proseal around the rear flange of the baffle for a smooth joint. You will make a mess back there with the wood clamps anyway....

Last edited: