Mruffatto

Hi Guys,
I've searched and searched and cannot figure out how to dimple the three holes underneath the fuel tank bracket on the fuse. The pic should show a better idea. I've tried my pop rivet style dies and that did not work. I didn't think it would because you are going through the skin and flange on the upright support. There's a screw below that gets countersunk. Should I just countersink? Knife edge?
21nf5lv.jpg

I guess it's different for us SB kit folks. :) I looked back in my web log. For me, the fuselage was upside down and the floor was off, so I was just standing in the cabin looking at the sidewall and the vertical stiffener.

I can't remember if it was clear enough to get a deep jawed squeezer on it or not. In any case, the backup tool that can be used anywhere is your rivet gun (with a set holder for your male dimple die) and a heavy piece of steel (like a bucking bar or better) with a 3/16" hole in it to hold the female die. Light air pressure and a short trigger pull should dimple both just fine.

Just like riveting, if you can reach both sides you can do it yourself, otherwise lure a fellow builder into your lair with the promise of beer.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, counter sink. As you mentioned ther flange does not allow for a proper dimple.

A set holder for dies was on my list of stuff to buy up at Oshkosh. But I forgot it. I guess I will be carefully countersinking.