TShort

Well Known Member
I've been following a thread over on the Matronics lists about closing the access plate on the fuel tanks (especially in light of the new SB). Luckily, as I am on the slow build plan for the wings mine are not closed yet.

I was wondering about sealing the access plate with self sealing nutplates (only downside I see is cost, but even at 2$/each we're only talking 30$ or so per tank) and / or self sealing screws (with o-rings, fuel appropriate of course, just below the heads). It sounds like people have been using these techniques along with the cork gasket and fuel lube (or equivalent) with good results.

What are the negatives to this approach? It seems better than gooping everything up with proseal and making later access difficult (although I hope to never have to open the tanks).

Anyone have experience with these techniques?

Thomas
-8 wings

Thomas
I used the self sealing platenuts/cork gasket for the fuel senders and generic platenuts /paper gasket for the inpsection plate. Both worked equally well.
After 10 years both tanks started to weep at the inspection plate gasket at the highest point of the tank. My guess is that the gaskets went dry at that point by not having full fuel in the tanks all the time. I did coat the screws for the inspection plate with proseal. I repeated the sequence but am using fuel lube instead fo proseal. I can't recommed the fuel lube yet as it only has a month or so use.
Tom
RV3
10 years 2000+ hours

Cessna does it with proseal (the pink structural stuff, there are a couple different kinds) for all their wet wing setups. We have it on the Cardinal, and it really isnt that big deal to pull the plate off, cleanup the proseal (it comes of the alclad pretty easily) and reseal it when you are done. How many times do you anticipate pulling it of? I'm planning on just doing it that way, A lot less trouble in the short and long-term if you ask me. If you use gaskets, you will have to buy a replacement gasket later when you open the tank. Also the proseal will take a lot longer to start seeping than a cork gasket.