gregbazar

Any pearls of wisdom on fuel system assembly? I am just starting.

Specifically - do I need to put some sort of plumbing teflon equivelant on the fittings? I have done alot of plumbing and know that things don't seal well without something.

While I understand that these are aluminum fittings, and most of them are compression fittings, there are still a few that seem to need - no beg - for goo..... ;)

Thanks,

Greg

Use a fuel and oil rated thread sealent on all NPT fittings such as Fuel Lube, PST, or Easy Turn. 37 deg AN fittings assemble dry.

Greg,
Do NOT use teflon tape on any aircraft fuel fittings. Use only a sealant on the pipe threads and nothing on the flare fittings. If you want, you can put just a drop of blue locktite on the flare fittings (not the threads), but it is not necessary.

I was always taught to use a small amount of something like Tite-Seal (Fuel Lube) on the threaded portion of a flare fitting, to act as an anti-sieze agent. Is this practice good, bad or indifferent?

Obviously nothing goes on the actual flare face, of course.

mcb

mburch said:
I was always taught to use a small amount of something like Tite-Seal (Fuel Lube) on the threaded portion of a flare fitting, to act as an anti-sieze agent. Is this practice good, bad or indifferent?

Obviously nothing goes on the actual flare face, of course.

mcb

In the -9 manual in the fuselage section, Van's says to use EZ-Lube/Fuel Lube on the flared fittings. However, I've heard other places that the flared fittings should be done dry. So far I've gone dry.

Thanks

Thanks for the input. The flare fittings I can see doing dry - just as you do in plumbing, but the straight threads had me nervous.

I will get on over to Spruce and see what they have for me.

Greg

Sorting bits

Greg,
I initially found it hard to identify all the AN components, so I made up the attached.
You might find it helpful.
Used nothing on my AN connections. No leaks in 103 hrs.
Pete.
fuelandventlinefittingstt6.jpg