sneedrv-6

Well Known Member
I have an RV-6 that was finished in 96 (standard kit, I did not build it). When I bought the plane the fuel level sensors were not working, or at least not working properly in 2003. I decided I would like to try and get the sensors working so I figure the first step is to hook up the sensors to my AFS Efis, once I do this I can have my mechanic try to get them working. So right now the plane is getting an IRF panel upgrade. The guys doing the upgrade want to know if the fuel sensors are capacitive or resistive. Can someone answer this question for me?

Thanks a bunch for your help,

Jason

My 6 kit, that was purchased in 96' came with resistance type floats, as the cheaper option. But it's not a sure thing for your plane.

fuel sensor

Thanks,

Also if there is a way to tell which ones I have please let me know...

Thanks for the reply...

Jason

Senders, float, and cap

Jason,

I've installed both. The Vans float senders typically have a screw point attachment with a ring lug on the cable running back to the gages. The cap senders typically use some kind of shielded cable attachment like a BNC twist and lock connector.

- Jim

Check them with an ohm meter

They will be obvious from the physical description above and my guess would be you have the standard resistive SW type senders. From the center lug to ground you should have a range something like 32-280 ohms, full to empty. The actual readings are relative, so it really does not matter. If they are reading reasonably in this range, your AFS unit will be able to calibrate to them. Follow the AFS calibration procedures.
Keep in mind, all calibrations are done tail up in flight attitude. Also keep in mind that if they are float type senders, you will not show a fuel level change until you are down to around 12 or 13 gallons remaining per tank. The float does not come off of the top of the tank until you burn around 5 gallons or so.

Also keep in mind that if they are float type senders, you will not show a fuel level change until you are down to around 12 or 13 gallons remaining per tank. The float does not come off of the top of the tank until you burn around 5 gallons or so.

The ones in my -6 calibrated up to 15 gallons.