0ptions

Folks, any body have an idea where to start trouble shooting a fuel sender problem. I checked the sender before installation into the tanks while the wings were off. After installing the wings the left sender is fine but the right sends the fuel guage hard over. After removing the sender wire I grounded on the fuse and wing and had the same reaction from the guage. Any help much appreciated. Tonight I plan on wiring the right side sender to the left fuel guage to isolate the sender from the problem.

You have the right plan. This will tell you if it's the sender or the gage. The other thing you can do is check the resistance from ground to the end of the sender wire (when disconnected from the gages). Left and right should be close to the same reading (assuming there is no fuel in the tanks of corse).

I don't remember if it's the high resistance that indicates full or empty, but if it's low resistance equals full, the wire to the sender could be shorted to ground.

Larry

Last edited:
Doug, I had the same problem with one of my tanks after removal/replacement for fuel pickup safety directive. The small fuel sensor plate had become isolated from ground. I went ahead and flew the plane and the problem fixed itself. If it had not, I would have tightened or replaced one of the screws on the plate to re-establish ground.
Leland
RV9A

Connect it to ground !

I have recently finished my tanks and put a male AMP-Connector, with a 4 mm hole, under one of the screws of the fuel senders so I can connect them to ground properly when I install the wings. Something I am planning in other area's as well. Some parts of the plane will be insulated from the rest by sealer or primer, or have bad ground (resistance) because of the primer.
In case of the fuelsenders it is a combination of the thick rubber gasket between the sender and sealer and/or cork gasket on the accesspanel. I have also primed my tanks (outside) so that will also act as an insulator between the tank and the wingspar and make it worse.

Regards, Tonny.