PCHunt

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I bought an RV-6A, having difficulty stopping a fuel "seep" that comes from the junction between the tank skin and the boss, or flange, that is mounted on the bottom of the tank that the fuel drain screws into.

I drained the tank, dried it out with air for a couple of days, cleaned around the flange, then applied LocTite #290 with a slight vacuum in the tank, still leaks. :(

Any other ideas from the experts? Trying to fix it without going inside the tank. Thanks!

You need to get familiar with the search function on this site.

This has been discussed many times.

Good luck.

You've got a leak in the ideal location. Ideal, in that it is very easily accessable (to the inside.) Pull the tank, take the hatch off and you'll be able to seal it from the inside pretty easily. Clean it up real good and mix up some black death and go to town.

Forget about wicking Loctite, that stuff doesn't work at all. I'd like to know who started that wife's tale... I tried that on the several leaks on my tanks, and it didn't work anywhere!

You need to get familiar with the search function on this site.

This has been discussed many times.

Good luck.

I searched, and that's where I got the LocTite tip. Unfortunately it didn't work for me. Most of my searches turned up a lot of non-related information, so perhaps I do need a tutorial on how to search. Is there "search help" on the site? :confused:

I dont know if there is a "search help", but here are a few suggestions.

Keep it short. "fuel leak" is better than "fuel tank leak", or "fuel tank drain flange leak"

Set the "search options" field choices for a longer time-----6 months or a year will really help find things. Also, there is a choice to "sort results by" that includes "relevancy", which I have found useful at times, when searching for specific data.

Good luck.

Hi Pete:

Unfortunately there is probably not an easy fix to your problem. The great thing as mentioned above is that your leak is in an ideal position since it's in the inboard bay which is easily accessible through the access plate. The tanks on the 6 are very simple to remove compared to the later -7 and -8 tanks. Not sure if was done on your plane yet, but there's a service bulletin that you may want to do on your plane. You could easily perform the SB at the same time as fixing your tank.

Best of luck and enjoy that fine aircraft!

dual solutions

There are two solutions to the problem.. if it is coming out around the rivits... then use the locktite wicking grade around the head of the rivit while applying a vacuum to the tank... make sure it's clean too... Then.. if that is not the problem... usually a dab of proseal in the right area on the inside will do it.. Call me if you have any questions...
Best
Brian Wallis
404-405-1315

Thanks

Thanks for the hints and advice, gents! Since both fuel gages are inop with troubleshooting showing bad/stuck senders, plus the leak, looks like I'm gonna learn how to remove/install fuel tanks. And I'm sure I'm just gonna LOVE learning how to use Pro-Seal. :p:rolleyes: