ksouthar

Well Known Member
Anyone installed a Fuelscan 450 in their RV?

I'm struggling with the installation of the transducer. Installing on an 0-320 in an RV-9A.

JPI tells me I need to be further away from the exhaust than the current fuel line routing. Problem is that as I get further away, I'm not able to maintain the level installation specified.

Pics of a working installation would be great. Pictures with the length of the fuel lines would be absolutely awesome!

Keith

[email protected]

No pics for you, but two bits of advice:

There is the manufacturers recommended installation and then there is the reality. Im not trying to say that you should just duct tape it to the exhaust pipe and it will be fine, but in my experience, having the unit absolutely level and at least 12 inches or whatever from the exhaust pipe are not critical to getting the thing to function and be safe. If its on the close side to the exhaust pipe, consider some judicious use of firesleeve and/or a small heat shield attached to the exhaust. In the same vein, minimize the angle it is mounted at and calibrate any reading errors out. Perfection is not required to make these things work well.

erich

Ditto with the reality vs. spacial limitations. I installed mine on the horizontal run of tubjng just aft of the firewall, in the cockpit. I have seen this location on other planes and their owners have reported that they have accurate results. The tubing run is horizontal with several inches on either side of the transducer before any bends.

ditto

Mine is inside the cockpit on the firewall, I'd do it again this way, even though there is a little rise in the fuel flow reading when the electric pump is on. Only happens for a short period of time. Next time, I'd put a T in the line between the fuel pump and the transducer with a 8" piece of tubing pointing straight up and sealed on the top end. Should create a damper.

With a little creative thinking, you'll get it to work. if possible you might want to route the tubing from the center pump, over the top of the transducer and in from the right side, then the output will route around and back under over to the right side where the bulkhead penetration is located. In any case, I wouldn't be afraid of a little extra tubing and a couple of bends if you want to increase the distance between it and the pump. Just secure the tubing well.

sorry, can't find any pictures of my install..