Spindrift

Well Known Member
Almost a year after finding metal shavings in my oil, we finally finished installing the new engine. However, when we ran it for the first time today, it only would run with the boost pump on. The engine driven pump doesn't seem to be working, but it was run on the test cell before shipping, so I can't imagine it has now failed, although that is one possibility. Here are the details:
ECI IOX-360-A4B1N 180 HP with ECI injection, built by Western Skyways.
Andair duplex selector with return lines to both tanks
Vans standard boost pump

- Runs great with the boost pump on
- Mixture adjustment doesn't change the performance when the boost pump is on, even at idle cut-off
- Engine quits once boost pump is turned off
- With return line disconnected and boost pump on, runs fine with fuel flowing out of the return line
- Will not run with fuel line run directly to a fuel source, bypassing the boost pump.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sounds like something is killing your low end fuel pressure or you have a restriction down stream of the pump.
Either the engine driver pump isn't working at all, or the low fuel pressure is set wrong or the pump has dirt in the low pressure relief valve holding it open.
Do you have the fuel inlet to the flow divide hooked up through a restricted fitting?
Good Luck,
Mahlon ?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Highly improbable, but there is an AD out there for faulty fuel pumps. Check the Lycoming website. Symptoms were low pressure and/or low volume. The affected pumps were sold on Lycoming products as well to the aftermarket.

Is the plunger installed?

You can remove the fuel pump and turn the engine over by hand while you insert your finger to feel if the plunger moves up and down. Are you sure that it was installed?

Best,

Point of clarification.....
He has ECI fuel injection which uses a rotary fuel pump and not the normal Lycoming dual diaphragm plunger type pump you all are accustom too. ;-).

Good Luck,
Mahlon

?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Hi Bill!
I have exactly the same trouble with my new IOX340. Have you handled the issue with the pump? What was the way to fix it?

Last edited: