jte65

Well Known Member
I finished my firewall forward wiring tonight and turned on the master switch for the first time. I expected to hear the fuel pump turn on but did not expect it to sound like a jackhammer! I pulled the fuse to shut it down so that I could begin to test the avionics so it was only on for a few seconds.

Is it normal for the pump to be so loud without fuel in the lines?

Thanks John

Thanks John for the quick reply. Is it quiet once there is fuel in the lines or does it remain fairly noisy?

Jeff

Cuts down a bunch

It reduces quite a bit, but you know when it on. Only the engine can drown it out.

John

Not good to run the pump without fuel. Yes, it does quiet down after it starts pumping fuel.

pump noise

Thanks Larry. Yes- not good to run any pump without having its designed liquid in the lines! It was only on a few seconds. I am surprised the plans for the first power-up do not address the need to pull the fuse when checking the avionics and other systems. While obvious to me based on reading prior threads and knowing the pump should not be running without fuel, it might not be obvious to everyone. The acceptance procedures instruct doing this for some of the tests but I don't recall seeing it earlier in the plans.

As an aside- does anyone know why the avionics fans were put on the circuit with the fuel pump?

Fans

I'm guessing but I'm thinkin' its designed to make you keep the electric fuel pump on.