Robin8er

Well Known Member
Patron
Is the ES 40108 electric fuel pump on an RV 8 for a carbureted engine an auxiliary pump in case the engine driven pump fails? Or is is required to pump fuel to the engine and therefore a critical part?

It's a backup to the mechanical pump.

and a "critical" part.

The backup pump you need depends on the type of fuel delivery system you install. A low pressure pump is used for carburetors and a high pressure pump for fuel injection. Note, that the engine driven pump must also match the type of system you install.

Awesome. Thanks. I agree aux pump is critical, that's why I was asking. I didn't know if I had to add an auxiliary pump. That answeredoesn't my question

Yes, you do need to add one.

It will not come from Van's with any of your kits as Van's does not know which engine you are going to install.

If you go with a carb, Van's has a nice gascolator that works well. If you decide to go injection, you won't need that. However, many builders have started and flown with a carb and then changed to fuel injection later.

In other words, you can make that decision at almost any time.

The one recommendation I do have is to spend the money and install an Andair fuel valve!

Why the andair valve? It looks nice, but I already have the vans one and it seems like it's all I need. It's just a simple valve.

Why the andair valve? It looks nice, but I already have the vans one and it seems like it's all I need. It's just a simple valve.

The Vans valve works fine. The Andair is a little more polished. If it was a $25 upgrade, I'd probably have one. It ain't and I don't...

I was in exactly the same spot as you. I was just starting the plumbing when I met a guy who flying his third RV build and out of nowhere he asked which fuel valve I was going to install. My answer was, "The stock Van's valve, why?"

He took me over to his hangar, where he had the interior ripped out. He said he replaced two valve on his second RV and when the first valve on his current one became stiff to turn he decided to replace it with an Andair valve.

The replacement required new fuel lines because they don't line up. He handed me the Van's valve followed by the Andair valve. The quality difference was amazing, it wasn't just a pretty face.

A number of the Van's valves have gotten "sticky" and difficult to turn with use and more than one plane has landed at other places than their destination due to valve issues. Granted, you can keep an extra one on your shelf and change it out at the first sign of trouble or you can install a quality valve and never worry about it again.

Yes they are expensive but in my mind, that is one place where your money is well spent! After all the money we pour into our planes, I can't believe someone would risk their investment on a $53 part that would best be utilized on a boiler rather than a quality aviation part.

Here is the link to Van's catalog for the valve. The quality difference is very obvious in the picture (as is the price).

I gave my original valve to a member of this forum who was replacing their sticky valve.

Last edited:
I've owned a couple of -4's with the early valve. Sticky is "I failed to do proper maintenance." I should know; I've not done it. All it takes is to re-lube the valve with Fuel Lube, or the current replacement, when (before) it begins to get a bit stiff. Normal maintenance, like lubing other stuff that moves.

The new valve isn't brass on brass, so shouldn't have the same issues.

I'm not saying there's anything mechanically wrong with the Andair valve. There's nothing wrong with spending more on your panel than the total cost of the airframe and engine, either. But neither is required to have a high quality, safe and high performance plane.

Charlie