Tbone

Well Known Member
Should the boost pump have an annunciation when it is on? I have a Dynon D180 but haven't found a way to use it for a "on" identifier.

My thought is that if there is more than one source of turning it on, then yes. I have a panel switch and a stick switch. The panel switch can be in the off position but the stick button engaged and there is no way of telling if the pump is on without a light. I also couldn't find a way for my glass to annunciate it so I mounted a light above the panel switch.

I have a big amber light and a steel toggle. I LOVE the amber light. I always notice it before the switch.

I used a lighted rocker switch but that won't work if you have two possible "on" switches. Annunciator light is a good idea.

Greg

Should the boost pump have an annunciation when it is on? I have a Dynon D180 but haven't found a way to use it for a "on" identifier.

My D120 has a couple of 'general purpose inputs'. They are actuated by switching to ground. You could do this by using a DPDT switch for the pump and using one leg to go to ground. An indicator could be setup on the screen. I suspect the D180 has the same setup.

I did basically the same thing but took it to an annunciator LED instead.

Another option is to connect the power line directly to the pump and use the switch to connect the ground side of the pump, then you could connect the Gp Input on the Dynon to the same side of the switch as the pump and it would ground when you flip the switch, showing that the pump is on. You may need a diode between he switch and the Dynon so the pump doesn't try to use the Dynon as a ground path.

I have only 2 annunciator lights high on my panel. One is a amber fuel pump on light and the other a green master switch on light. Green means OK for normal flight, anything amber or yellow means pay attention to. It helps me remember to turn it off. Have a Dynon 180, but even if I could have the Dynon indicate it, would prefer the annunciator light high up.

Does you D180 have a way of monitoring an alternate voltage source? I did this with my SkyView to show when the boost pump has 12v applied to it.

If you can't do this you can always install one of these 12v LED indicator on the panel that comes on when the boost pump has power. The indicators come in GREEN, RED and ORANGE.

:cool:

Last edited:
You don't need one at all if you choose. The Airflow Perf. pump is rated for continuous duty as should any fuel pump. If you do leave it on, you should catch it with your normal scan. If you don't, your not doing a very good job with your scan.
If you are going to use one, I find most EFIS displays busy enough already. I would not want to add a non critical indicator to one.

On my first panel I had a green LED above the Dynon D100.

It was just bright enough to see in the sunshine and too bright at night. When I changed out the D100 for the SkyView, I didn't reinstall the light and don't miss it.