kevrv77

Has anyone run into situation with interfence between the fuel pump fitting and prop gov pad? I have a basic Mattituck O-360 constant speed engine configured for a fixed pitch. The typical straight fitting could not be used because the hose fitting would interfere with gov pad - scrapped the straight fitting and ordered 45deg fitting. Problem is I installed the engine before the fitting arrived and now find out the 45 deg fitting interferes as well. No real interest in trying a 90deg fitting since already have proper length hoses.

Several posts out there on how ugly it is to remove/install fuel pump with engine hung and just noticed a post yesterday with pictures of how ugly it is to remove the diaphram, so I am short on an easy way to deal with this..

Anyone know if its possible to remove 1 of the fuel pump bolts and slightly tilt the pump enough to get the fitting started (or is the risk of pin dropping off too high for this approach??) Picture below of the problem.
Thanks - Kevin

2dip0ea.jpg

Hey Kevin - I've got a spare 45 degree fitting myself - nope it wouldn't fit on the IO-320 either. Changed it out for the 90, and life is good. I think I'd remake a fuel line before I ted to remove the pump with the engine in place, but that's just me, and based on what I have read.

I knew I needed the 90, but somehow ordered the 45 when I was on-line with ACS. The good news is that they can drop one in an envelope and ship it US mail for less than two bucks, and you'll have it in two days.

Update on this one for the archive... Thanks for the advice Paul - I went with the 90deg fitting and turns out one of Van's pre-made hoses (VA-139, the longer of the two in the -7FWF kit) is just the right length for anyone that runs into this problem down the road.

Another one for the record since I missed the originating post...

Just grind off the interfering material from the boss. Prior experience told me this was coming, so I just do it before hanging the engine. But you can kinda reach in with a Dremel tool if mounted. Sometimes it's hard to predict whether a 90 or 45 will work best for your hose routing, so it's judicious to allow for changes.

John Siebold