prkaye

Well Known Member
The plans say to fit the fuel pump doubler to the firewall now (assembling hte firewall). the plans have measurements for the holes for the nutplates, but it seems to me that this is one of those things that should be drilled in assembly with the actual fuel pump so the nutplates line-up perfectly. The plans don't say "drill in assembly" for this though.... any thoughts?

Big holes...

Being an automotive part, the holes on the fuel pump mount are quite "sloppy" by aircraft standards.
The tolerances will work out and the pump will fit if you follow the plan dimensions...

gil A

Not just sloppy, but slotted as well.
40105.gif

Gascolator doubler

Phil,

While you are bulding up the fire wall, I would order the gascolator doubler (Sorry, can't recall the part number) and install that now. It goes on the inside of the firewall and is a pain to do later, after the rudder peddles are installed.

BTW, the fuel pump is not included in any of the kits so you will need to order that at some time.

Consider, of course, whether you're going to even need a fuel pump there. I put the doubler and nutplates in, following the plans. It wasn't until later that I decided to put the Airflow fuel pump in by the fuel valve. Not sure what'll i'll do with those two holes. Put some proseal around a screw and stick in there, I guess.

VA 161 - gascolator doubler

I believe the gascolator doubler part number is VA161 - part of the firewall forward kit. I just did my initial firewall assembly and went ahead and ordered the gascolator, gascolator doubler, PC680 battery box, master and starter solenoids and did the nutplates for mounting them while doing the firewall assembly. A friend also building gave me a heads up about them so I wouldn't have to drill out rivets later to mount these. I did leave off the firewall recess so I can get the rudder pedals in later. The position of the gascolator doubler is not on any of the drawings that I have but once you get it, it will only fit on at one place and that positions it so that it about hits where the hole for the gascolator(fuel line) is on drawing 19(firewall penetration points). The battery box and solenoid locations are on drawing 31A.

If you haven't done your F705 bulkhead yet pay attention to the drawings when cutting the F-605C doublers. I didn't and have to get another set from Van's now. The excess needs to be cut from the bent end. Make sure you understand the drawing.

Have fun,

If you haven't done your F705 bulkhead yet pay attention to the drawings when cutting the F-605C doublers. I didn't and have to get another set from Van's now. The excess needs to be cut from the bent end. Make sure you understand the drawing.

Thanks for that warning... will be doing that soon so I'll pay special attention to that.