bruceh

Well Known Member
Friend
I'm thinking it is time to start ordering what I need to plumb the cabin for the fuel system.
I'm going to upgrade to the Andair FS20X7T Fuel Valve.
I'm definitely going to have a fuel injected engine, so I'm also thinking that the Andair Fuel Pump and Filter should be purchased now.

Looking on Van's Accessories Catalog, they list something called "Andair Pump Parts - 7/7A F.I. BRACKET KIT" for $95. There is no further info I can find on this. Does anyone know what comes in this kit?

It looks like I can order the F-7115C, F7115B-L/R pieces for the fuel pump housing for much less than $95.

Andair also sells a special bulkhead fitting (BH375) for penetrating the firewall. Is there any advantage to this fitting over a standard AN833-6D 90 degree elbow bulkhead fitting with an AN SPACER-6D?

Any other things I should consider buying now? Aircraft Spruce sells a complete Andair "Fuel System Deluxe" package, but it also comes with a gascolator. Do I need a gascolator? The diagram they show has the gascolator upstream from the valve/filter/pump. Van's shows a gascolator downstream on the firewall in DWG 36A, but I had assumed that was only required for a carbed engine.

Andair Fuel Pump

The Andair high pressure boost pump kit (on their website) for fuel injected engines has a single inline filter mounted to the pump inlet. This is compact but has two issues for me:
1. No blocked filter bypass and no blocked filter indicator (that I could tell from the website)
2. Filter should be cleaned at annual and this means some spillage inside the cockpit.
Andair says a filter is needed upstream of the pump to protect the pump parts. I have decided to put a gascolator in each wingroot (gascolator is mandatory in Canada). This allows an additional water collection/drain point, keeps gas out of the cockpit during filter cleaning and has redundant filters (one per tank).
I plan on using a steel bulkhead fitting for strength and fatigue resistance, don't think the Andair ones are steel.

Andair Filter

Just how fine a filter does Andair reallly require in order to protect their pump? I believe the filter they sell is rated at 62 microns. That's about twice as fine as a Van's gascolator screen.

Fuel Filter

You are right, the Andair inline filters are rated at 62 microns. The gascolators are rated at 70 microns. However, the Precision Airmotive Silver Hawk fuel injection system says fuel supplied to be filtered to 32 micron (bulletin EX-5VA1). I shall check with Andair about this.

Info on Van's 7/7A F.I. BRACKET KIT

Looking on Van's Accessories Catalog, they list something called "Andair Pump Parts - 7/7A F.I. BRACKET KIT" for $95. There is no further info I can find on this. Does anyone know what comes in this kit?

It looks like I can order the F-7115C, F-7115B-L/R pieces for the fuel pump housing for much less than $95.

I called Van's and here is what I learned. This 7/7A F.I. BRACKET KIT is basically the Airflow performance kit, minus the pump/filter/valve. What you get for the $95 is some extra rivets, tubing, AN fluid fittings, platenuts, in addition to the F-7115 parts. It is not specifically engineered for the Andair pump.

I went ahead and just ordered the F-7115B-L/R, F-7115C and the necessary platenuts called out in the Andair pump installation guide.