Hi Folks,
I have recently purchased an engine for my RV6a project. It's a time exp O320 E2D that I plan to bulk strip and freshen just to get the project in the air. Problem is that the accessory housing does not have the mechanical fuel pump boss machined as it came from a Cessna. Has anyone machined this boss to accept a fuel pump? So why not get another housing I hear you ask, well parts here in Aus seem to be a bit more expensive than USA and machining, if feasible may be cheaper.
Any advise or alternatives greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Andrew

I think ECI sells them, might check on the cost there. Also, I think Divco in Tulsa OK. in the US will machine and tap the pad for you. You will also need the correct drive gear and push rod for the mechanical pump. I found and purchased a nice accessory case for my engine on Ebay and had Divco check and machine the it to new spec with my engine case set. Good Luck!

Has anyone machined this boss to accept a fuel pump? So why not get another housing I hear you ask, well parts here in Aus seem to be a bit more expensive than USA and machining, if feasible may be cheaper.
Any advise or alternatives greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Andrew

I'm not positive that the the -E2D has the boss cast on the inside of the accessory case that holds the pushrod that goes from the eccentric on the magneto idler gear to the fuel pump. If it's there, it may not be drilled since the external fuel pump boss isn't faced off and drilled and tapped. This boss is a hump of about 3/4 in dia. about 3 inches or so long cast into the interior of the accessory case. It holds the pushrod that transfers the action from the eccentric to the arm of the fuel pump.

You may be able to determine if it is there, by removing the left magneto and inspecting the interior of the accessory case with a mirror and flashlight.

If it's there and drilled, then it should be a simple job to face off the external boss then drill and tap for the mechanical fuel pump.

If you have access to an overhaul manual, you can see what I'm talking about and better understand. Hope this makes sense and that anyone with better info will come forward. Mahlon???????????

I had mine machined by Divco a few years ago for about $ 150 US. This is a fairly common procedure.

Ken

The boss should be there, but it will need to be drilled.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

I'm not positive that the the -E2D has the boss cast on the inside of the accessory case that holds the pushrod that goes from the eccentric on the magneto idler gear to the fuel pump. If it's there, it may not be drilled since the external fuel pump boss isn't faced off and drilled and tapped. This boss is a hump of about 3/4 in dia. about 3 inches or so long cast into the interior of the accessory case. It holds the pushrod that transfers the action from the eccentric to the arm of the fuel pump.

You may be able to determine if it is there, by removing the left magneto and inspecting the interior of the accessory case with a mirror and flashlight.

If it's there and drilled, then it should be a simple job to face off the external boss then drill and tap for the mechanical fuel pump.

If you have access to an overhaul manual, you can see what I'm talking about and better understand. Hope this makes sense and that anyone with better info will come forward. Mahlon???????????

Seen it both ways

on the push rod boss... some are drilled and some are not on accessory cases without machined FP pads.

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I will continue the teardown of my engine and see if the boss is already drilled.

I'm pushing my luck, but would anyone have dimensions for the pad height, pad angle and push rod angle etc? If so I might risk getting it machined here in Australia. If not, I'll ship my housing to Divco.