hcccs

Well Known Member
I just bought a cooling shroud for the fuel pump. It has no hole for the overboard drain line port and I can't drill one because it would interfere with the blast tube. The question is if I can remove the pump lid and turn the middle piece 60°?

Last edited:
I had the same thought while struggling to replace the fuel pump on my RV-4 a couple of years ago. The drain port comes very close to the firewall and makes it more difficult to get the fuel pump properly aligned for installation.

I chickened out before taking the pump apart. I figured the odds of that part being symmetrical enough to allow arbitrary rotation were too slim to risk messing up a new pump. If you try it, please let us know how it goes. I'm sure a lot of RV-4 owners would be interested in that mod.

I very much doubt this is possible, but I dont know. This is why.

I bought a new engine from Aerosport power. As soon as Bart knew it was for a -4 he said "...you will need the fuel pump mod." He tapped it like this. If you could just rotate that fitting to a different position it would have been less work. Since he will be familiar with the internals he must know its not an option. Sorry not to bring better news.

PS An alternate reason might not be the internals, but wouldn't the problem just move to the fuel exit point?

I just bought a cooling shroud for the fuel pump. It has no hole for the overboard drain line port and I can't drill one because it would interfere with the blast tube. The question is if I can remove the pump lid and turn the middle piece 60??

I took a pump apart a few days ago and it would not have been possible to reclock the one on my O-320. The cavity that feeds the overflow port is cast into the perimeter of all the pump "layers" and would prevent the pump from being reclocked.