jhiggins

I always thought that av gas was the same as car gas, the price quoted was including all taxes. But as it turns out at my home field KAKH, they add the %7 sales tax to the total. It is what it is. This is full service, there is no SS fuel there. My question is, when searching around on sites such as 100LL or others, or the fuel prices that may be visible on a flight app, do they all use the same formula as to quote the price before sales tax? Seems like to me they should quote just like regular gas stations.

Fuel Price per gallon always includes all taxes.
Your FBO is pulling a fast one and trying to look cheaper than they really are.

Fuel Price per gallon always includes all taxes.
Your FBO is pulling a fast one and trying to look cheaper than they really are.

Some states, unsure about SC, require state sales tax on services provided. In this case, being full-service, the FBO probably has to charge state sales tax on the fuel since they don't specifically charge a service fee.

If this turns out to be the case then you could suggest to the FBO that they charge a "Fuel Cap Removal & Replacement Service Fee" for providing full service. Perhaps a flat fee of $0.50 or $1 regardless of number of gallons purchased. If your state has a sales tax of 7% then you would be paying only $1.07 + the cost of fuel for full service instead of the cost of fuel x 7%.

The FBO should want to do this as it not only saves money for their customers but they gain one more dollar on the sale. The way they are doing it all of that extra 7% is going to the state, not their own cash drawer. They fuel maybe 40 planes a day? That $40 more than covers the coffee they provide in the pilot lounge.

In the meantime I would stop at a nearby airport that offers self-serve.

Last edited:
Here in Canada it's standard for airports to report prices with all taxes in. I confirm with people reporting prices to my tracking site. There are a few little pockets here and there where airports don't include the taxes, and when asked if the prices include tax they just don't reply. Coincidentally, these are airports with the highest prices in the region and the only way they can compete is to leave the taxes off so they look the same as everyone else.