f14av8r

Well Known Member
Hi Folks,
The photo is of my current fuel pressure sensor. It feeds my Dynon Skyview system. My fuel pressure has become very, very unreliable - pressures all over the place. I've done my due diligence on VAF on the subject. Before I spend a lot of time testing, bleeding, etc. though I'm thinking it might just be better to replace the sensor with something more current. However, I don't know if this IS current!

For context, I'm the non-builder, new owner of this RV-4.

So, do any of you recognize this fuel pressure sensor? Is it something I should spend time on or should I just buy something more current from Dynon?

Thanks,
Randy
IMG_1320_zpsqtugrop3.jpg

Standard VDO sensor. It's the hard to find two-wire version, but you should be able to source it. These were the type originally supplied by Rocky Mountain Instrument for their engine monitor. Check their site for a part number.

They tend to fail after a few hundred hours. Not stocked by Dynon.

I had similiar problems with my Dynon D-180 and the same sensor. I contacted Dynon and was told that Dynon had so many problems with that sensor at low pressures ( carburator pressures) that Dynon didn't sell it anymore. I replaced it with Dynon's newer sensor and haven't had any problems. Bruce Estes (still looking for a 6 ,not a 6A, with lyc 360, c/s prop, and slider, western states location).

Thanks

That's exactly the information I needed. I ordered a new Kavilico sensor from Dynon. I expect that will fix the problem.
Randy

As the VDO senders begin to fail, pressure indication fluctuates from normal to off-scale high. After replacing a couple I gave up and got the newer Kavlico senders, the only thing Dynon now sells. More expensive, needed some rewiring, reprograming (simple--follow directions in the on-line manual), and rock solid ever since.

Same here...both oil and fuel pressure VDOs went south...replaced them with Kavlicos. Seem to be rock steady after 150 hours or so.

The VDOs suck.