Tony_T

Well Known Member
Patron
This is an improvement to the D180 fuel pressure sensor connections.

SkyViewers need read no further since the new avionics comes with a different and, hopefully, improved sensor.

I had been having jumpy fuel pressure readings that I traced to the slip on spade connectors on the sensor. The readings would appear normal then would jump into the yellow or red zone, sometimes to full scale red. Naturally, the alarm would sound just as you would be trying to talk on the radio :eek:. This type of behavior did not seem to be a component failure but more likely a high resistance connection to which the Dynon is sensitive. When you pull off one connector, i.e. high resistance, the Dynon pegs to the red. When doing the troubleshooting I examined the fuel pump and could find no indication of failure there.
In looking at the sensor, it actually has nutted terminals to which the spade tabs are attached. Why not just remove the tabs and connect the wires to the sensor with ring terminals?? So... that's what I did.
i-XfDz7K2-L.jpg

I have flown the aircraft for several hours since and fuel pressure readings are very steady.

There have been many posts about jumpy fuel pressure readings on the forum, this easy fix might solve a lot of that. It will at least remove possible high resistance connections in this circuit.

Tony

Wish you had posted earlier! I bought the new sensor. I figured if it avoided even ONE ALARM while the wife is in the plane, it would be $85 well spent!

Too Late

Wish you had posted this about 4 days ago. I just received a new sensor yesterday.
Will try your fix first and see if that works before I change the unit out.

Gary Krause

New/different sender?

"SkyViewers need read no further since the new avionics comes with a different and, hopefully, improved sensor."

Posted above. Vans told me today the sender supplied with my power plant kit will work with Skyview and not to expect a different sender. I recently asked Dynon about the sender they offer to see if it is different than the one supplied from Vans but no word yet.

Do the $85 senders from Dynon clear up the fuel pressure readings?

As with many things in aviation, the stock fuel pressure sensor is a compromise. There are more accurate and sensitive fuel pressure senders available right now. How much are you willing to pay? For the most part the Dynon supplied sensor works. It is not the most accurate, nor is it the reliable one on the market. But neither does it break the bank to buy one. I appreciate the tip posted above how to maximize the accuracy of what we have. I am glad that Dynon has come up with a unit more in keeping with our range of fuel pressures. If mine goes south on me, I will replace with the new one. In the mean time I will adapt the one I have.

"SkyViewers need read no further since the new avionics comes with a different and, hopefully, improved sensor."

Posted above. Vans told me today the sender supplied with my power plant kit will work with Skyview and not to expect a different sender. I recently asked Dynon about the sender they offer to see if it is different than the one supplied from Vans but no word yet.

Do the $85 senders from Dynon clear up the fuel pressure readings?

I received a reply from Dynon support who advised their current sender (the $85 one) will be supplied by Vans in the future. They too felt the previous model, the one I have, was not the most accurate or reliable. I hope this new one is a success:D