kjmorris2023

I'm New Here
This airplane is new to me a Varga 2150 converted Taildragger labeled experimental. The partnership some years ago had the engine overhauled O-320 E2G (from a Grumman Cheetah) and added a bendix fuel injection system which makes it I would assume an IO-320 (although the engine shop just left the old label on probably because it was experimental).

Most of the time when I go and cold start it our procedure is to go mixture rich, boost pump on until you see fuel pressure on the guage, mixture lean, throttle 1/8 up and crank and feed in the mixture when it catches. Well most of the time you will never see pressure on the guage even if you leave the pump on an extended period of time and the engine won't start. But I've learned if you don't see pressure just turn it off crank it a couple revolutions and repeat the procedure and it will crank right up.

The guy who built this airplane http://www.betawings.com/n2103z.htm says it's done this ever since the overhaul and lycoming can't tell him why it does this. He assumes that maybe there's a valve somewhere stopping the fuel, because the guage doesn't seem to lie and you can hear the pump come on.

Anyone have any ideas on this? And again thanks to everyone who provided input on the hot start issue.

Ken Morris