ww2planes

Well Known Member
I have uploaded a few pics of the Aerogizmos indicator plate. This is the final version. There are no mounting holes so that the builder can mount the plate in their own preferred version. It is 1/8" thick and looks great.

I have sent it out to the vendors in hopes that they like it and will stock them on the shelves. They get first shot at purchasing. Please give me your feedback. I will keep everyone posted on availability.

The install in the pics are of my own 7A. fairly easy to modify the included parts. If you are interested in install pics e-mail me at [email protected] and I will send you pics of my method.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/8823/img4480sy8.jpg

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/4999/img4470yj5.jpg

From a cosmetic standpoint that really does look good Andair knock off handle and plate without the cost of an Andair.

My concern is the valve not the cosmetics. Kind of like a fake rolex, looks like the real thing on the outside but maybe not as good on the inside. When you actually operate the Andair valve, the feel is what sells me not the cosmetics.

No insult intended. Like I said it looks good. I would just rather have the real thing than try and put lipstick on a pig. The fuel valve is no place to save a buck.

Looks great!

I think it looks great!

Mike, I understand your point about the Andair, but for those of us who already have installed the Van's valve, this is a welcome upgrade. I think it would be more trouble than it's worth to try to replace my stock valve with the Andair, don't you? I think the cross-feed of the fuel lines would have to be re-done, which ultimately means replacing the fuel lines from the valves all the way out to the wing attach point, unless someone knows something I don't? I'd love to hear some input on this point.

Otherwise, I'll be one of the first to order Bill's plate and handle once they're openly available.

I agree with Craig,,
Yes, the Andair is a piece of art, but for those of us with the Vans valve already installed, this is an excellent add-on. I will be first in line (behind Craig), when available!

(This is a long explanation to the question of changing an existing stock valve.)

My -4 was finished in 93 and had the old brass on brass valve. When I flew the plane home it was so hard to turn I thought the handle was going to break off so I did not turn it in flight. The brass on brass is serviceable by taking it apart and fuel lubing it. However on disassembly it was so badly galled I decided to replace it. Both the new brass on plastic (stock) and Andair required moving the fuel lines. I was able to adjust by hand existing L/R lines and had to make one new short line ( valve to fuel pump ). So no, it was not hard to replace an existing valve.

Again I do not mean to insult the cosmetic handle and now the new plate. They are very nice looking, excellent appearance. My concern when prioritizing money expenditures is this, #1 robust, bullet proof as possible items and then a distant #2 cosmetics. I would rather have an Andair valve with no plate and a crummy looking handle over the stock valve with a nice plate and handle.

I feel hijacked

Thank you all for the information. There are so many of the brass valves out there and folks are not interested in changing. I am not aware of any failures due to this valve.

More importantly I was looking for information from the members on my parts specifically. It would be a real benefit if we could get away from the opinions regarding the valve and concentrate on original request.

Thank you for the support and I hope to get a lot of feedback on the new part.

I have uploaded a few pics of the Aerogizmos indicator plate. This is the final version. There are no mounting holes so that the builder can mount the plate in their own preferred version. It is 1/8" thick and looks great.

I have sent it out to the vendors in hopes that they like it and will stock them on the shelves. They get first shot at purchasing. Please give me your feedback. I will keep everyone posted on availability.

Bill,

Sorry you got hijacked. :eek:

Your kit for the fuel valve looks great and I hope you have great success at marketing it to the hundreds of builders with the original Vans valve.

More importantly I was looking for information from the members on my parts specifically. It would be a real benefit if we could get away from the opinions regarding the valve and concentrate on original request.

Thank you for the support and I hope to get a lot of feedback on the new part.

Bill,,
Any chance on offering the lettering in other than red,,? Red is hard to see in "red-light" cockpits.

I'll take 2

The plates look great, and will be a nice compliment to the tried and true standard valve. Hopefully you wouldn't actually have to read the writing on the plate at night to switch tanks. Red is good. Keep it simple. Don't over think stuff and you'll fly sooner.

Kind of like a fake rolex, looks like the real thing on the outside but maybe not as good on the inside. buck.
yeah but the fake keeps better time...at least mine keeps better time than my buddies sub mariner.
lever and plate look great i will install one for my 1 year flying anniversary. i wont buy bells and whistles until im flying.

Last edited:
I will definitely purchase a handle and plate. Any ideas when they might be available?

First Vendor

I just heard form Vans yesterday afternoon. They will be stocking them in about 3 weeks. They ask that orders are held off until then as they would prefer to not have a backlog before they get them in and on the shelves. I will keep you all posted.

Indicator plate is in stock at Vans

The new plate is in stock at Vans. There is a pic of one on their front page. The stock items have a red ring around the outside edge and the lettering is more vivid on the stock units.

Re: Opinion

I like the plate. I was going to ask you for a better pic. Vans picture does it better.

Will buy one for my stock 3 way valve.