cdeerinck

Well Known Member
Background:

I have a QB 8, and am planning on putting an EFII (FlyEFII) system in, so I will be routing return lines to the tanks.

I am about to finish the tank access plate, and so I have read up about the two types of pickup tubes. Built per plans (aka Slotted) and Vans pre-made w/Filter screens. In my QB kit, the slotted pickups were already finished for me, but not yet installed.

With the EFII system, there is an optional 100 micron pre-filter before the pump, and a 10 micron filter after the pump. The fuel goes through both, before being used or returned to the tank.

So now my questions:

1) Is their any reason to "upgrade" to the screen pickups, vs. the slotted ones I already have? I get that the screens will filter out more particulates, but it is a non-serviceable screen, being sealed inside the tank.

2) I pretty sure the optional pre-filter would be in the cockpit on an 8. How do people clean those filters, without messing up the interior?

3) Has anyone done any alternatives to putting the pre-filter in the cockpit, or is that even possible?

4) Is it ok to skip the pre-filter, given that it is optional? What is the down side to that? Would that be a dumb move, or just a builder preference? Or maybe only skip this if the pickups have screens on them?

Don't skip the pre-filter!

The screen type filter in the tanks is a more elegant solution than the slotted tube type. I did two slotted pickups and didn't like all them so I ordered the ones with the screens and like those much better.

I moved the pre-filter to the wing roots (RV7A) and changed the filter to gascolators (1 each wing root) thereby eliminating the gascolator from the firewall (required in Canada for FI engines). The gascolator is 75 micron Andair if I recall so it meets all the requirements for a pre-filter. Easier to sump and clean in the wing root location. Not sure if the RV8 will have enough space in the roots though.

Bevan

I made the slotted pickups and then ordered a set with the screens. The slots are so large that about the only thing they would keep out of the fuel system is a AN4 bolt.

This is but one decision you are going to make. Other things to consider is the fuel valve. Spend the money and get an Andair. Don't spend $10 and put lipstick on a pig by buying that cheap red fuel pointer that attaches to the standard valve. As one esteemed member of this forum found out in Phase 1, after a forced landing, it could have turned out to be a false savings.

Last edited: