AboveMSL

Well Known Member
Hi Folks,

One of the fuel pickups, VA-261 that came with my RV-14A kit has a tiny chip at the end of the flare. Worried that this would leak, (I'm still building), I ordered a replacement a couple of weeks ago. While installing the new one today, I noticed that it's a straight thread (rather than NPT) as it didn’t get tight until the nut portion was against the rib. Inspection showed that the nut is stamped JIV (?, I believe it says) as opposed to AN, like my originals. Google turned up no results as I'm not sure what I'm searching for, (I found JIC fittings). Does anyone know what this is?

I'm assuming this would leak and plan to ask Van's send me a new one, however, they're on backorder....
Thanks,
Greg

IMG_2989.JPG

Hi Folks,

One of the fuel pickups, VA-261 that came with my RV-14A kit has a tiny chip at the end of the flare. Worried that this would leak, (I'm still building), I ordered a replacement a couple of weeks ago. While installing the new one today, I noticed that it's a straight thread (rather than NPT) as it didn’t get tight until the nut portion was against the rib. Inspection showed that the nut is stamped JIV (?, I believe it says) as opposed to AN, like my originals. Google turned up no results as I'm not sure what I'm searching for, (I found JIC fittings). Does anyone know what this is?

I'm assuming this would leak and plan to ask Van's send me a new one, however, they're on backorder....
Thanks,
Greg

View attachment 65855
The VA141 tank rib bugs used for the fuel strainer fittings are 3/8 NPT thread. This appears to be a AN832-6D bulkhead fitting with 9/16-18 straight threads, and NOT a converted AN816-6-6D strainer fitting. From your pic, it appears to have a teflon washer at the base of the hex. Unless Vans changed the VA141--which I doubt, you have a different fitting. Change it for a proper one before you fill the tank!

The VA141 tank rib bugs used for the fuel strainer fittings are 3/8 NPT thread. This appears to be a AN832-6D bulkhead fitting with 9/16-18 straight threads, and NOT a converted AN816-6-6D strainer fitting. From your pic, it appears to have a teflon washer at the base of the hex. Unless Vans changed the VA141--which I doubt, you have a different fitting. Change it for a proper one before you fill the tank!
Thanks Tom, for the thorough and educational answer, most appreciated. I'll get a correct part.
(I should have probably removed the fitting for a better photo. What appears as the teflon washer, in the photo, is actually a small bit of Loctite sealant that squeezed out.)
Thanks again,
Greg