Don Jones

Well Known Member
I decided I didn't want to use the stock pickup tubes in my tanks since I am planning on a dual pump system similar to frank's. The rotary vane pumps have 0 tolerance for **** getting in them of any kind so I am going with these sock type units. I know some of you feel an easily accessable filter is better, but in 30 years working on cars professionally, I can count on one hand the number of these I actually have seen stopped up. When they were, there was so much junk in the tank it had to be pulled anyway to clean it out.
pickup2.jpg

pickup.jpg

I like this idea a lot better than the slotted tubing pickups - where did you get them?

They be Ford parts!

I like this idea a lot better than the slotted tubing pickups - where did you get them?

Kinda a bummer putting Ford parts on an RV, but I liked them better than the GM versions. They are part #D1AZ-9A011-A and are made to fit a 3/8 pickup tube. No mods necessary! I like simple!

I would prefer the plastic mesh for two simple reasons - first, the holes are much finer so it acts as a particulate screen much better than the metal one, and second because with holes that fine it acts as a fuel sock, and will preferentially pull fuel in while keeping water out due to surface tension - leaving your water to be drained out of the sump drain rather than being pulled into the intake.

I'll be going by the Ford house this afternoon...they are right around the corner and will likely beat Vans price for a genuine aircraft part plus shipping, not to mention being a lot faster.

The old saw slots would pick up the last drop of fuel (and some might argue, water). The ss mesh created maybe a minute or so less fuel pickup. The plastic one you show might leave a gallon or more unusable unless you have the pickup line angled down inside the filter. What keeps that thing from falling off the line? I would add the saw cuts on the line inside the filter. Then, if the filter fell off the open line would not be subject to plugging from debris.

Don't forget the anti-rotation bracket.

Can't fall off...

The old saw slots would pick up the last drop of fuel (and some might argue, water). The ss mesh created maybe a minute or so less fuel pickup. The plastic one you show might leave a gallon or more unusable unless you have the pickup line angled down inside the filter. What keeps that thing from falling off the line? I would add the saw cuts on the line inside the filter. Then, if the filter fell off the open line would not be subject to plugging from debris.

Don't forget the anti-rotation bracket.

The aluminum tube slides inside a plastic sleeve which runs almost the entire length of the filter assy. It has pickup slots near the very end of this tube. It can't come off because it will run into the rear baffle long before it comes off of the tube. There is around 1" to 1.5" of aluminum slid inside and it is a very snug fit. It might leave a quart or so of fuel in the tank, however I never cut it that close on fuel anyway.:D

In-tank finger screen

I am curious as to why you would want a screen (defined as anything finer than the tube cuts) in the enclosed fuel tank. Would it not be much more maintenance friendly and safer to have a fine mesh finger screen where you have reasonable access?

I don't really think there is a problem.

First the screen isn't all that fine. Sure it will take out particles the tube cuts won't, but in my opinion the tube cuts aren't gonna take anything but the bolders out. :) If you compare it to Van's screen pickup, I feel the screen Van's sell will stop up way before this one will due to the increased(like 3X) surface area of the screen. The only time maintenance would be a problem is if you got a really horrible load of fuel, but in that situation, you would be pulling the tank to clean it out anyway, so I don't feel there are any maintenance issues.

YMMV