jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
OK, I didn't realize there was a mandatory service to safety wire the nut on the fuel pickup tube until after I had closed everything up. I am bldg an RV9A.

The SB calls for removing the AN818-6D coupling nut to drill the holes for the safety wire. It doesn't say to remove the anti-rotation bracket but you must in order to remove the nut. My anti-rotation bracket is prosealed and riveted in place. Don't like the thought of removing it.

Question: Can the coupling nut be drilled in place without having to remove the anti-rotation bracket? And, if not, is there a trick in removing the proseal after it's been on there for almost 2 years?

Vent off.....seems like the SB should have been sent with the plans as it predates my kit delivery. Also the picture on where the hole(s) on the nut are to drilled in the SB are most confusing. Have to see some pictures here on Vansairforce to see how.

Thanks for any advice.

Jim

Also-Only One Hole in Nut?

Also, the service bulletin calls for only one hole to be drilled in the coupling nut. I don't see how only one hole is possible in order to safety wire the nut in place. All the pictures I see herein shows two holes drilled in the nut. Also, it looks like there is no room for error when drilling the hole(s) in the nut.

Jim

Once you remove the cover plate, you can take the fuel line without removing the buklhead fitting from the anti-rotation bracket. Once the tube is out, cross drill one corner and saftey wire it. If you want, drill two sides to make it easier. Either way, make sure the safety wire is postioned so the nut cannot come lose.

fuel%20tank%20service%20bulletin.jpg

Also, when you put the cover back on, use cap screws. Getting those pan head screws off with the wing attached could be a real problem.
right%20tank%20sb%2006-2-23.jpg

BTW, I recorded the SB compliance in the builder's log as well as on the tank cover, as you can see in the above photo. That way there will be no question about the compliance down the road, long after I forgot if I did it or not.

Last edited:
Anti-Rotation Bracket

I could be wrong but is the safety wire required with the new anti-rotation bracket. That nut is not going anywhere once it is in the bracket.

The new bracket has notches to match the nut, once installed it will not turn.

25exnvo.jpg

Yep!

Mike is correct. If the anti-rotation bracket captures the nut, the safety wire is not needed.

...The new bracket has notches to match the nut, once installed it will not turn.
This is just another example of how Van's continues to improve the kits. Next you are going to tell me they include a stall warning and detailed instructions, like on the RV-10 & -12.

I see the confusion now. My install has the anti-rotation bracket capturing the nut as shown on drawing 15 of the plans. So in order for me to remove the nut I have to remove the prosealed and riveted in place anti-rotation bracket. RVG8tor's picture above has the anti-rotation bracket around the bulkhead fitting. (lets call the anti-rotation bracket ARB for short)

Mel says you don't have to safety wire the nut in place with the ARB which I tend to agree. However, the SB says to install the ARB first then drill the nut and safety wire the nut in place, but in Figure 2 of the SB the ARB is around the bulkhead fitting (which is contrary to the detail on plan sheet 15).

My conclusion is that if you have the ARB around the nut then you do not have to safety the nut in place. If you have the ARB around the bulkhead fitting then you do have to safety the nut in place.

Is this conclusion correct?

Now I have a red face because I just read that the affected models for the SB is all RV models shipped prior to Feb 23, 2006. Mine was shipped after so no safety wiring the nut is required.

Whew!

Jim
RV9A

Correction, RVG8tor has the anti-rotation bracket around the nut and Bill R. has it around the bulkhead fitting.

Jim

For older kits

Read the applicable models in the first page of the bulletin.....

Affected Models: All single and two place RV models with wing fuel tank
components shipped prior to February 23, 2006.
All single and two place QuickBuild Kits shipped prior to
February 23, 2006.

Correction, RVG8tor has the anti-rotation bracket around the nut and Bill R. has it around the bulkhead fitting.

Jim

Bill R. has *an* anti-rotation bracket around the fitting, while RVG8tor as THE anti-rotation bracket around the nut.

IIRC from the -8 my buddy built, earlier ARBs were just fabbed up out of Al angle with a hole drilled to accept the fitting, and were to prevent rotation of the *entire* pickup tube from rotating at the bulkhead (rib) passthrough, whereas on my -7, which is obviously a newer kit, the wing kit comes with 4 ARBs to select from, all with 12-point (I think that was it) "stars" cut into them but each clocked differently so you could pick whichever one worked best, to simultaneously prevent the entire tube from rotating AND the B-nut from loosening.

Boy, I wish I had one of those new brackets for the RV-3....I had to fabricate one "old school" with a round hole, which means I have to drill the nut for safety wire....:(