bullojm1

Well Known Member
I installed my fuel pickup tube (Van's premade with mesh) today and put it right over the drain hole. It is definitely at the very bottom of the tank, but I am worried that I am not thinking of some reason why it could be bad that the pickup is directly above the drain hole. Pics are as follows:

showthumb.php

showthumb.php

Any concerns or move on?

Thanks!

I mounted my pickups the same as you. When I did my fuel flow tests, I drained 50 ml of unusable fuel from the tanks.

I didn't turn them into the corners... I can't say whether it's better or worse, but my theory is that right over the drain is better because when you check for contamination, you know for sure that's where the pickup is drawing from.

Either way, you should gently rock the wings a couple of minutes before you perform you contamination check. That way, small amounts of water should collect in the quickdrain 'bowl' (such as it is).

I also think that the Van's finger screen is superior to the shop-made slotted pickup, so good choice.

Vern

Fuel pick-up

Hi Mike,
I'm busy finishing my RV9 wings, fuel tanks are complete. Your anti-rotation bracket does not look correct to me. You may want to revise that installation. The RV 9 has the anti-rotation bracket on the fuel pick-up situated on the nut which crimps the ferrel and tube.
Kind regards
Craig Todd

bullojm1 said:
I installed my fuel pickup tube....Any concerns or move on?
Here is a view of an anti-rotation bracket as installed per plans. As you can see, it prevents the nut from working its way loose. Disregard the vinyl still protectiing the aluminum. I made the covers up well before the tanks were finished and was removed prior to installation. It was probably overkill but before I closed up the tanks, I smeared sealer around the exposed threads of the fitting too.

ft03413bg7.jpg

Those are the old style anti-rotation brackets, you can see the safety wire hole in the fitting. As to placing the pickup over the drain hole, my only worry is the drain fitting. When you push up on the fitting's plunger to drain fuel, the pickup may interfere. My pickup is just off to one side to allow freedom of travel to the drain fitting's plunger.

bullojm1 said:
I installed my fuel pickup tube (Van's premade with mesh) today and put it right over the drain hole. It is definitely at the very bottom of the tank, but I am worried that I am not thinking of some reason why it could be bad that the pickup is directly above the drain hole. Pics are as follows:

showthumb.php

showthumb.php

Any concerns or move on?

Thanks!
Personally, I like to see the pickup to one side of the drain. It will drain better if the hole is clear. My pickup is in the inside corner.

Thanks for all of the advice. For those concerned about the antirotation bracket, the one in the picture is made how DWG16A depicts on the RV-7/8 diagram. The pic was taken before the safety wire was put on to keep the nut from loosening.

I am going to put in the drain plug and see if there is any interference with the plunger. If there isn't, then I am going to leave it where it is. If I move it to the inside corner, it will not sit as low as it does now because of interference with the drain plug rivets.

jlfernan said:
My pickup is just off to one side to allow freedom of travel to the drain fitting's plunger.

Jorge,
After I spun in the drain valve, there was definitely interference with the plunger and the fuel pickup screen. Thanks a lot for pointing that out. I bent the pickup tube more inboard and got rid of the interference.

Thanks,