6 Gun

Well Known Member
How many RV'ers are running old style fuel pick ups with down line fuel filters with good result.
Bob

Fuel Pick-up

After 14 years of living with visible loose slosh and Van's service bulletins about slosh, anti rotation fixes, fuel pick-ups and, most amazing, the one to drill and safety the nut in this area, I opened up my tanks and addressed all those areas over the past few weeks.

I also spent a lot of time reading VAF archives in an attempt to find a case where these problems had caused a problem. I did see a case or two about seeing some warning signs of slosh in screens, which I agree should be heeded. I did not find any instances of an actual operational failure from these issues.

On balance, in my case, I consider it a waste of time. The loose slosh had never migrated to a screen and the hacksawed and pinched pick-ups were clear. After examining the area I cannot imagine how the other issues would have caused a problem.

On the positive side, the whole exercise turned out to be much easier to do than I had expected and the plane is back flying.

No recommendation here. Just one experience and opinion.

I built the fuel system in my -6A pretty much as Van documented.

The fuel pickups in the tank have the wire screen covers.
The tank components were pro sealed and riveted.
No slosh used anywhere.
Tank lines routed to the fuel selector (Andair) and then to the electric fuel pump.
Fuel line then goes to the gascolator, then the "red cube" fuel flow sensor.
The output of the flow sensor goes to the carb inlet.

At each condition inspection, I remove each fuel tank quick drain valve and drain a gallon or so of fuel from each tank. No debris has ever been observed.

The gascolator screen has shown some type of foreign material. I don't know what it is or was. The best I could describe it would be a wad of spider web material.

The inlet screen on the carburetor has always been clean.
Hope this helps.