whifof100ll

Well Known Member
I have not yet mounted the fuel pickup assembly in the T408 inspection plate, or run fuel lines in the fuse. I've also decided against flop tubes.

I understand that the RV-10 has gone to a straight through finger screen pick up fitting that goes through the tank at the rear corner. This would remove any concerns or requirements for anti rotation plates. The unit would be tightened in place externally. This is similar to what is on many certified aircraft. It would be much lighter and you could remove it at annual without removing any the large inspection plate. The service bullitin about safety wiring the AN818 nut would also no longer apply.

I'm considering installing these parts, or something like them in my RV-6. it seems that it would be lighter, easier to service and less risk.

Anything I'm missing here? Anbody else done this in a two seat RV?

Advice appreciated!

Regards,
Dale Lambert
RV-6 Finishing Kit

Last edited:
Dale,
It wouldn't be much lighter. A couple of thoughts; Check th location it would come through the fuselage side. Would it interfere with anything here? If you add a 90 degree fitting here, you have added back the weight you saved. Not sure you could get it out without removing the tank. The tank is closer to the fuselage on the -6 than the other RVs and the line is going to be in the way. Just trying to make you think of all possible pit falls. If these things check out OK, there shouldn't be a problem doing it this way.

You'd likely have a bit more unusable fuel if you used the straight-through fitting/pickup screen...compared to the standard pickup which can almost rest on the bottom of the tank.

Yes, sure, the unit would be tightened externally, but only with a backup wrench on the *inside* of the tank as well. You'd need the inspection cover to be open anyway to service it.

As I see it...

Pros: no need for anti-rotation hardware
Cons: less usable fuel

I'd rather have that extra ounce of fuel!

Thanks guys

Good thoughts.

Dan, I was actually thinking about riveting in a threaded reciever for the straight through line, then the pick up screen could indeed be removed and checked for tightness without the backup wrench. Good advice on the usable fuel.

Van's recommends prosealing the T408 inspection plate without a gasket. This will mean that I will not likely ever take it off without a **** good reason. I just hate the thought of never seeing the screen again.

Never the less, I will probably install it per plans though I'm not crazy about the design.

Thoughts on using a buna n gasket vs. cork gasket, vs, just plain ol pro-seal on the inspection plate and standard float type sender unit would also be appreciated.

Cheers and thanks again for your help.

Dale
RV-6 finishing kit

I agree with the comments of both Mel and Dan (though if a flange was riveted on like the RV-10, you are correct that a back up wrench would not be required).

The proseal only gasket works great and is pretty much guaranteed to never leak. The key to making the cover relatively easy to remove is to use enough sealant to form a 1/16 inch think gasket, and then DO NOT tighten the screws all the way. Leave a 1/16" gap between the cover and the rib to allow tapping the blade of a putty knife through. This makes the cover come off relatively easy.