HighSchoolBuilders

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I am working on my fuel pick up tube, I just want to get a second opinion on what do you think about it. I mess up my first one by closing the pick up end before I hand saw it, hence I can't debur the interior after I hand saw the slots.

The second one came out nicer than the first one, but I am not convince if it is up to standard. I don't know if I cut enough slots or is it too few for it to pick up fuel.

I notice Vans sells a pre-fabricated fuel pick up line, they are very different from the one on the plan, with stainless steel mesh at the end. I wonder if fuel will get pick up at the end of the mesh, since the pick up line is not at the end of the mesh, and will that leave more unusable fuel.

while on the topic of fuel, one very dumb question.... If I fill the tank up, wouldn't the fuel exit via the fuel vent line?

Thanks very much!
Hank

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Matches mine

I'm not sure about the ones with screens, but my quickbuild kit came with 2 prefabricated ones, and they look pretty much like what you have done in the picture...

I went with the prefab ones, although the ones you made will certainly work I think the screens are a better overall design.

As far as minimum fuel is concerned, assuming they are both positioned in the same place I think the difference would be minimal,
if you start suckin air through either one you're out of gas dude :eek:

"If I fill the tank up, wouldn't the fuel exit via the fuel vent line?"

The vent line extends to the highest point in the tank out board of the gas cap. You can't over fill. Fuel will come out of the gas cap hole first. You may get some lost fuel through the vent due to expansion on a hot day but the big loop around the foot well side wall should prevent that.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6