Wardo

I am at the point of routing fuel liner from my andair fuel selector to the fuel pump. I understand that these lines are usually made of aluminum hard line. I am considering making them out of flex hose, all airworthy parts of course. I maintain aircraft for a living so I understand the "life" of the flex hoses. Just wanted to hear some thoughts.

no issues-

but if you maintain aircraft for a living, bending aluminum or stainless tubing shouldnt be an issue either. Tube assemblies are considerably less expensive.
Tom

Have Tom make your FWF flex lines and do the rest in aluminum... Just my 2c.

Fuel Lines

If you do choose to use hose on the suction side of any pump check the hose specs and be sure it is rated for a full vacuum. Hoses that are not so rated can collapse and block the flow. Hardlines are much cheaper, will pull a full vacuum and have a tighter bend radius.

most teflon--

is rated for full vacumn in smaller sizes. Generally larger sizes (-12, -16, -20) need an internal support if you are going to use then in suction applications.
Tom

fuel lines FWF are almost always flex lines on GA aircraft, even on the suction side i.e. before mechanical fuel pump.

just as an option Wardo--

teflon hose has a virtually infinate service life, versus 303 or 701 hose. Just make sure its conductive teflon. For short runs, like from the selector valves to the boost pumps, or filters (less than 6 inches), we use rigid tube (stainless or aluminum). Longer runs, or ease of maintenence, hose is perfectly acceptable. There are alot of threads on VAF, as well as alot of pictures showing different, but acceptable, fluidline design and routing.
Tom