ka6dan

Well Known Member
Attempted to install fuel line from Wing to fuel valve for a9a. No joy! Can I get some advice? Or better yet, is there an alternative? something like a prefab flexible? Right now I'm moving to the tail and hope I get some inspiration.

Ka6dan
Old sailplane pilot moving to a fan job

Attempted to install fuel line from Wing to fuel valve for a9a. No joy! Can I get some advice?

You are not alone. Keep trying aluminum tubing is cheap. I redid my fuel lines twice everything by the plans. There are aftermarket flexible fuel lines but they aren't cheap.

Bend more! Good luck.

Keep at it ...

.... it may help you to know that's one of the worst parts of the entire build. VERY frustrating watching a scrap pile of Al tubing build up in the corner.
Your other choice is to buy the SS jacketed flexible hoses from Brett at Bonaco. (He knows the exact lengths for each of the Vans models) It lets you avoid ALL that tube bending frustation.
Like they say, "It's either more money of more time." ;)

Here's how I did it...

I DREADED this task for months before I started it. But like so many other mini-projects in the build, this turned out to be relatively simple, once I figured it out. No need for expensive after-market hoses or extra fittings in the cabin, or wasting yards and yards of aluminum tubing. I'll show you exactly how I did mine. It's all here, starting about 1/4 of the way down the page:

Fuel Line Installation

Good luck! Let us know how it works out.

I did it exactly the same as Bruce S. demonstrates in his web log. Getting the tubing through the gear weldments is the biggest challenge, and your fingers will be sore the next day. Don't forget to put the rubber grommet on the tubing as you get it through the weldment. There are 2 grommets. One on the exterior hole and one that holds the tube centered in the weldment hole. You can see them both in this photo.

1206906948_ue96P-M.jpg

My vote goes to the flexible hoses from Bonaco. Easier to install, reasonably priced, and less likely to have a leak at the fittings. I even kept them when I converted from NW to TW!

Greg

Order from Bonaco and move on to the next problem. They are cut to length, pressure checked, and ready to go.
Phelps

fuel lines

I use a piece of #10 solid copper wire to make a pattern first. With some effort you can duplicate it with the tubing. Ron

Thanks for all your help!:cool::). This is a clear indication of the worth of VAF.
Think I'll roll this around in the old brain!

While I went the Bonaco route, Colin's idea is excellent. One can use any stiff wire, too, as a "template".

Fuel Lines

Very easy to install if you do it in two pieces. Install a bulkhead fitting in the rib, install from the fuel selector to the rib in one section and from the rib through the gear mount and to the tank as the second section. You will be able to do it the first time and will spend no more than a couple hours to do both sides. Save the aggravation and wasted tubing. Lighter than the flexible fuel line. Flying now for 6 years, no drips or leaks......

Keith
N355RV