Darren Kerns

Well Known Member
Guys,
I need some help. I noticed a faint smell of fuel in my cockpit the other day and finally tracked it down. My left tank fuel line running in from the cockpit was barely weeping at the meeting point at the fuel tank and at my Andair fuel selector. I installed a new alum tub with new fittings and flew it last night for the 1st time. After I landed, I checked it again. Same ol same!!
I checked the fittings and the one on my fuel selector was a little loose so I tightened it up but not too much. My one on the fuel tank was fine. Anyway, I am thinking about going with a flexible hose made by a company. I have checked my Andair fuel selector to make sure the the little screws have not worked themselves out and they looked fine.

Any thoughts, suggestions, items I am not looking at????

Darren Kerns
RV8 N214TK

cracked

is it possible the valve is cracked where the line enters the valve?

edit: never mind that i see it has flare fittings...however i would be suspicious that the flare ports were leaking where they are joind to the main body.

Last edited:
Fuel Lube?

Have you tried using a little Fuel Lube on the connections.
and AC$ sells a little gasket kinda ring made from Alum to use in that location.
I've never tried them, but I've seen them in the book.
Just some Ideas that are easy to try.

A trick that was taught to me was to check for small fuel leaks with a kleenex. The blue die will show up easily. Are you using an approved sealant on your threads?
Wayne
F1 Rocket
250 hours
C-FAUH
RV10 (building)

If you think the weeping fuel is coming from the AN flare connection you might try a DEL Fitting Seal. It is a cone that sits between the AN fitting and the tube flair to help fill any scratch or void. Aircraft Spruce has them much cheaper than a flex line. Hope this helps.

Guys,
I am not using sealant. Also, I have been using a paper towel and it does have the blue die on it when I wipe the fitting off. I had a A&P make the new line for me. It has a funny bend coming down into the tank so I am wondering if I should use a flexible line. We like to never got the other new alum tube line. I am thinking my thinking I just do not have a good seal. The fitting coming out of my fuel tank had a lot of blue die on it. This makes me think that I am not getting a good seal.
Thanks guys for all of the help. My knowledge is very limited so that is why I always ask for help.

Darren Kerns
RV8 N214TK

No sealant called for on either end of an AN tube fitting. It sounds to me like you have leaks on both ends of a new fuel tube that was made? Sounds like a basic line fabrication problem. If it were me, I would start again from scratch, verifying that the tube actually fits without any stress, and that the flares are of high quality. Also, note that there exists a specific torque spec for that fitting that you are tightening. No need to guess if you're not familiar with it.