LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
I'm finally getting around to paying attention to plumbing the engine, now that I've worked my way forward in buttoning up N614EF for eventual flight.

I noticed this problem when quickly connecting a fuel line from the fuel servo (vertical induction IO-360, btw) to the engine driven fuel pump at the T-fitting.

fuel_line_3.jpg

It hits the engine mount. I've put some other pictures on the blog. I suppose I could clamp it in some way, but I'm concerned about the line not having much "five" at the T-fitting when the engine is vibrating.

Touching points

Definitely looks like a problem.
My fuel line at that connection has a 45 Deg fitting so I could "create" different angled "approaches". http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerv9a/FWF#5403230987669424210.

Clearly, anything that is attached to the engine, shouldn't be directly touching a stationary structure, like the mount, unless it has plenty of flexibility that doesn't create a chaffing point also. It is really tight in there and a challenge!
Good luck!

Bob,
How about using the other port in the "T" with it pointing down, for the fuel to the servo and the port you are currently using, for the fuel pressure?
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

mock up hoses

We found that in some cases, making "mock up" hoses saves alot of hassle, and expense. Having integral firesleeve hose fabricated can get expensive, especially if you have to scrap it because of some unforeseen obstacle. Fittings are the same way--buying and waiting for different fittings to arrive can be costly, as well as irritating. Having several lengths of hose, ( not necessarily flight ready, but for mock up purposes), sometimes saves alot of grief later. Its alot less expensive to make one assembly than 2.

Tom

Bob,
Look at using a 90 pump fitting pointed up at about 10:30, as viewed looking in at the pump from the port side. The line runs up a very short distance then down (passing over the lower left mount ear), then along the sump bolt line forward. Adel the line to one of those sump studs.

Big advantage is keeping the line inboard and away from the exhaust headpipes.

Following up. Here's Gus' response:

I'd try a longer line, that way the fitting on the fuel pump can be angled back towards the firewall, increasing the clearance from the mount. Also, you may want to use a 45 deg fitting in the servo, as the line looks quite close to the exhaust. With a longer line, the route can go further outboard and cross the exhaust higher up as it comes into the 45 deg fitting on the servo.

We have not installed a vertical induction IO engine on the two place airplanes here. What we have that seems to work OK is a 23" long line that has a 90 deg fitting on one end. The 90 deg fitting can attach to the fuel pump and makes it easier to angle the line outboard.

Alternatively:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=317599

I did exactly what Gus suggested ...

... and it worked well, increasing the radius of the bend in the hose and letting me Adel the hose to the engine mount.
(Now if I could just figure out how to route the servo-to-distributor hose... :confused: )