I posted this to the end of another thread, but had no answers. My question was no doubt inartfully worded. Let me try again.

It seems that the fuel line could go straight from the fuel selector, through the brackets, through the landing gear weldment, and through the fuselage side. Then, making any turns or installing any fittings would be a piece of cake.

This would get away from the terrifying bends necessary to go from the marked access point through the fuselage side to make the turns through the landing gear mount.

Has anyone done this? How much room is there between the tank and the fuselage side when the wings are on?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Jim Pleasants
7A QB
Saint Simons Island

Jim, I really liked the idea I saw on Walter's site.. a bulkhead fitting in the side skin (held by that rubber grommet) and then it's really easy (literally) to get the line in following his suggestion.. it really wasn't difficult, or horrible if you follow that approach.

I'm still not sure I completely understand. You're talking about moving the exit point of the fuel line aft? So the fuel line on the interior would take a straight shot out to the side? There's not much room between the tank and the side of the plane once the wing is installed. You should check that pretty carefully against any bends/fittings you're planning on putting in there. Plus you need room for tools to tighten the fittings.

Also, the bends are really not that difficult. I posted recently in another thread to a page on Matthew's site that had some great advice. You can pre-bend the lines making it pretty easy. I found it to be much easier than I expected.

Concerns about re-routing fuel line

I'm no engineer, but the bulkhead fitting proposal would seem to have some issues.
1. Why would Van's leave a 1" hole and fill it with a rubber grommet if he did not expect some significant flexing and movement at that point?
2. Won't the side of the fuselage move in and out with aerodynamic pressures? Also with G-loads?
h

Dave, the clearance matter is precisely what I wonder about.

h, I don't have the plans here, but it would take only about a 5/8 hole to accomodate a 3/8 line, with a 1/8 on each side for the grommet. If flexing is a problem, it should be less when closer to the heavier structure at the spar attach bulkhead.

Anyone, please elucidate me as to "Walter's site" and "Matthew's site". I don't have those URL's. ( Is that the correct acronym?)

Jim