agirard7a

Well Known Member
I plan to install a red cube fuel flow sensor between the fuel pump and carb.
I need to make up two fire sleeved hoses. AC spruce sells the hose and fittings. My question: Can I use Aeroquip 303 hose (non stainless wire mesh coated) vs the stainless mesh coated hose? The price is about half.
or does anyone know a source to have some smaller hoses made up?

Hose

I made mine with 303 and fire sleeve six years ago. Probably about time to get TS flightlines to make me some new ones of braided steel/Teflon lining and fire sleeve.

I think the service life is twice 303 so the cost would be a wash. Correct me if I'm wrong Tom or Mel.

Mannan, service life of teflon hose is virually infinate---provided it isnt exposed to direct heat, or over bent. Even with firesleeve, its OD is smaller than 303, and that is a big advantange. Also----fuel with ethanol wont effect teflon like it can with a nitril liner.
Tom

Fuel with ethanol is an issue, but I think the only airplane engine approved for that is the Rotax. Teflon theoretically lasts forever but it is costly and difficult to work with - and very stiff. 303 hose is fairly cheap, flexible, easy to make with proper fittings, and the fittings are re-usable, so every 5 years or so, you build new hoses out of relatively cheap 303 (or similar) hose. Once youve done a couple, it only takes a few minutes to make a new one. If you want cheaper factory built hoses, including Teflon, try Earls Performance Products. They sell pre-built hoses or just the parts, including AN fittings.