Berchmans

Well Known Member
All,
This may be a silly question but I am not an electrician by any stretch...when wiring the float type fuel level senders that Van's supplies does there need to be a separate ground wire run or is the unit ground by its mounting?

Your choice

ITS your choice! I always worry about an adequate ground at the sender because you will be fuel proofing found the sender and its screws with proseal, so I always run in a separate earth to the fuselage.

I have never had a sender problem with this bely and braces approach.

Is it easier to run in an extra wire when building......... or take a wing off later to sort a bad earth?

I agree

Mine is only grounded through the airframe.

One wire to the sender. When I attached a ground wire, the gauge wouldn't register but it worked when I removed it. Grounding through the airframe is all that is necessary.

I had to run ground wires because the connection to my EFIS (actually the engine pod) was sensitive and didn't work through aircraft ground. That meant I had to isolate the mounting plate with plastic shoulder washers and use a ground wire back to the pod. It's fortunately a fairly easy retro-fit, though, so feel free to try the airframe ground first and see if it works for you.