storkeye

Friend
I've seen this fuel level sender on a few places including other kit aircraft and I wonder if anyone has any experience of using Hydrostatic Pressure senders in RV fuel tanks?

www.beliteaircraftstore.com/liquid-level-fuel-probe-system-with-1-8-probe/

Other than price it seems really simple with no moving parts and easy to replace if it fails. Best of both worlds.

The price on Belite is for a full kit but I have found the sensors available on marine sites for a lot less.

Any downsides?

Thanks,
Abe
RV-7 Fuel Tanks in progress!

Think about where you plan to sample the pressure and the effect of its elevation relative to the bottom of the tank. Plus effects of fuel pump. The application may not be as simple as intended.

Also be aware the Belite sensor is measuring pressure relative to the surrounding atmospheric pressure. If your tank is vented so that there is any ram pressure, the sensor will not indicate properly. The hydrostatic pressures are quite small, so error is large.

Belite vents the fuel tank in their airplane into the cabin, so it is not a problem for their application.

A true differential sensor will work with one side connected to the bottom of the fuel tank and the other side connected to the tank vent system. I use this on my Europa.

Jim Butcher