lockeed

Well Known Member
Just did a quick flight were - a couple minutes after refueling and takeoff - I could see fuel coming out from the left fuel tank cap :eek: not a great sight.

Came back safely. After inspection, I found that I could turn the cap, even when locked into position. I was told to try and tighten the screw at the bottom but I broke off the small cuter pin inside the lever on top... :p

I'm trying to figure out if I should just replace the pin and try to tighten the nut at the bottom - and try to make it close tighter...

or

Just get two new caps...

Kit is from mid 90's, but the plane was completed last year - and is almost new with 85hrs.

Cap's appear to have the correct brown type seals.

IMG_0337.JPG

IMG_0340.JPG

Ah.... I think I know what you did wrong....

The o-ring is sandwiched below two pieces of aluminum, and the bottom piece is threaded.

Turn the bottom aluminum piece to squeeze the o-ring THEN tighten the nut :D Rosie

Last edited:
Like Rosie says, the bottom aluminum plate is the adjustment.
The nut is simply a jam nut to keep the lower plate from loosening.

I believe the 2 pieces you are pointing to are actually one piece.
Hold the piece above the "O"ring and turn the piece below the "O"ring to tighten. Then tighten the nut.

Try.....

......replaceing the pin (any hardware store) (carry spare in flight bag) and seeing if it might of been bent or broken already, causing the leak. Then adjust as needed. Some have them a little to tight to beguin with. A possitive cam over is all that is really needed. Lube your o-ring too.

I believe the 2 pieces you are pointing to are actually one piece.
Hold the piece above the "O"ring and turn the piece below the "O"ring to tighten. Then tighten the nut.

Ah... right.... I saw that I could unscrew the lower one...But didn't really realized I could tight it back so it squeezes the O'ring... I'll try that, thx for the info.

......replaceing the pin (any hardware store) (carry spare in flight bag) and seeing if it might of been bent or broken already, causing the leak. Then adjust as needed. Some have them a little to tight to beguin with. A possitive cam over is all that is really needed. Lube your o-ring too.

What do you mean by "positive cam over" ? I'm not familiar with that.

What kind of lube you guys use on the o'ring ? There's a small o'ring on the lever mechanism also, under the small aluminum plate. It looks like it seals the contour of the round metal lever base (which is linked to the threaded screw on the other side). Might be a good idea to lube it too?

Last edited:
As a practice, it's good to replace those roll pins anyway (after years, they have a tendancy to break or bend) with a solid smooth pin cut from the end of a dull #40 drill bit. Then adjust as others have said....over time they need tweaking! It used to be SOP in the olden days! :)

Cheers,
Stein

fuel caps

Why is it that almost always that I have or wonder about a problem on my RV's that when I go to Vansairforce.com that night and look at today's posts, I see someone asking and then someone answering MY question...?????????????

Thanks Doug Reeves..................! !

When you have your caps tight and the o-ring lubed, it will operate fairly easily. You'll notice over time that the caps will become harder to operate. That's your cue to re-lube the ring.

Fuel Lube (EZ Turn) is what Usher recommends. Don't buy that can, get the 5 oz. tube that Spruce sells for around $12. You'll probably never use all that's in the tube in a lifetime. Use it sparingly. EZ Turn will not dissolve in fuel, and anything else you put on the O-ring may get into your fuel, in theory anyway. :)

The "cam over" refers to the over-center movement of the latch--kind of a positive lock as you lever the latch over center and down.

P.S. If you have some 1/16" welding rod, that works fine as a replacement of the latch roll pin.

Last edited:
As a practice, it's good to replace those roll pins anyway (after years, they have a tendancy to break or bend) with a solid smooth pin cut from the end of a dull #40 drill bit. Then adjust as others have said....over time they need tweaking! It used to be SOP in the olden days! :)

Cheers,
Stein

If anyone can say AMEN to using a drill bit as a roll pin, it would be me! I changed out my roll pins to drill bits at the very beginning and have NEVER had a pin break :D Rosie

If you are ever around cold weather, do not use EZ Turn or Fuel Lube, it gets amazingly stiff when cold. You will not be able to get the caps off. And, it is almost impossible to remove the stuff.

I spray mine with Tri-Flow every few months. It will allow easy installation even when compressing the o-ring enough to get a good seal.

Also, McMaster has hardened stainless steel pins that are perfect for this application, won't rust like some drill bits. Seems like I bought a bag of 100 for a few dollars about 8 years ago, haven't needed but the two original ones I put in.

Alex, I will definitely fly in cold weather as I'm in Quebec, so your point about EZ Turn geting stiff doesn't sound too interesting to me.

I still think good old Vaseline would work great for this application...

Last edited:
Lubricant

Salut Jean
''I still think good old Vaseline would work great for this application...''

That's what I've been using for years and it works like magic and I'm flying in the same weather you do..

Bruno
[email protected]

Hey Bruno!

Glad to hear you're using vaseline... I also think it should work just fine. I went to the hangar today and I dissasembled both fuel caps, cleaned them, and used just a bit of engine oil to lube the o'rings and the plastic (or teflon?) sleaves. I adjusted both pieces so they close properly, and it works like a charm now...

Learn something new every day ;)

Whish I had those instructions when I took it apart yesterday.

Pretty simple once you know how it work.