pa38112

Well Known Member
I have an 0-360-A1A fixed pitch. I have just started running LOP and want to do more. Looking for opinions/experience on what will help it run smoother LOP - adding fuel injection or electronic ignition?

Aircraft Spruce has a kit that does both, but I'm wondering which is the bigger bang for the buck ?

I agree with the others, call AFP and order a FI system. Remember that you will also need to replace your engine driven fuel pump.

The good news is you will be able to sell your carb, both fuel pumps, and you gascolater.

BTW, I have dual Pmags pn my O-360 and can easily run LOP, which I do when above 6500' and at 65% power or less.

Last edited:
Injection

Well balanced Fuel injection is the tool that will allow you to run LOP, electronic ignition will allow you lean further. If you have to chose, get the injection, but I would hate to give up either one.
Tim

I have an 0-360-A1A fixed pitch. I have just started running LOP and want to do more. Looking for opinions/experience on what will help it run smoother LOP - adding fuel injection or electronic ignition?

Aircraft Spruce has a kit that does both, but I'm wondering which is the bigger bang for the buck ?

It depends... Many have pretty adequate distributions with a carb for LOP by playing around with slightly closed throttle and perhaps using carb heat. Do you have individual egt probes and a fuel flow sensor? If so, you can go up and get some data on egt vs fuel flow (lots of stuff on these forums about this...). If the spread can be made reasonably small, say, perhaps .5 gph, you may get a much bigger bang for the buck with EI.

Balanced injection will give you more immediate returns than electronic ignition. They will both help - injection will help more. If it's a question of which to do first, injection trumps ignition IMHO.

From my experience, replacing a dual mag with a new single mag and EFII ignition, I was able to easily get LOP.

First, I assume you have good 4 cylinder EGT/CHT and fuel flow? Then go get up to a decent cruise altitude, and set 'er up for ROP cruise. Put on the altitude hold if you have have it. Now, start leaning and record the EGTs every .2 gallon fuel flow (min 10 seconds to stabilize) until you get to LOP on the richest cylinder or she's running too rough for comfort. Look at see where each cylinder peaks. If they are within roughly 50 degrees of each other (mine were 40 ish with a carb) then I'd go with Robert Paisley's EFII ignition on one side and a mag on the other.

If they are widely spread, you could try some simple things first. Like making sure all your intake hoses are tight and leak free etc. If you still can't get them close, maybe FI would be a better choice for a first move.

Ultimately you will want both :D

On a bang for the buck I think the electronic ignition comes out on top. Running lean of peak usualy requires fuel injection. Installing a fuel injection system is also harder IMHO. Fuel servo, fuel distributor, injection lines, fuel injectors, high pressure engine driven pump, high pressure electric boost pump and possibly return lines. I'm kind of in the same boat I like Fuel Injection and Electronic Ignition. But I'll probably install EI first.

Brian

ignition then injection

With any of our systems, you can start with the ignition and add electronic fuel injection at a later date. Then you will REALLY have balanced fuel and a high energy ignition to boot.

Robert Paisley

EDIT EDIT EDIT

My apologies to Robert; I started typing this message without seeing his post, & forgot about his systems.
Charlie

Of course, if you really want to do it right.....

http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html

from one of the members here,

or even

http://msextra.com/feature-xref.html

The MicroSquirt will do everything a 4cyl Lyc needs, for well under a $grand (plus a fair amount of work, of course).

Charlie
(Got to stir the pot occasionally)

Last edited: