Pheonix137

Hi All,

I have an 0-360AIA that I will be using in my RV7. I have also recently been given the opportunity to strip of a complete fuel injection system from a HIO-360.

Would this system from a heli engine be similar to a standard aircraft system? As far as I can see it looks to be the same.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Hi All,

I have an 0-360AIA that I will be using in my RV7. I have also recently been given the opportunity to strip of a complete fuel injection system from a HIO-360.

Would this system from a heli engine be similar to a standard aircraft system? As far as I can see it looks to be the same.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Assuming the system is Bendix RSA, helicopters got a slightly different spec. Call Don Rivera at Airflow Performance. Chances are he can set it up to any spec, and if you're not sure about age, it might be good if he or Kyle looked inside it.

If it was from an HIO-360-D1A you probably want to stay away. That is a horse of a different color as far as FI goes.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

I have a complete HIO-360 and my servo has an extra component on the side (a canister, hard to miss) that Don tells me is for mixture/altitude compensation. That servo may be worth a few bucks, too. Aside from the injector line lengths, everything else appears to be the same.

Thanks All,

My second option is from a LIO360C1E6. Looks to be a much better option, as it has the standard IO360 bendix system

I am not sure if the injector nozzles will need to be changed (200hp to 180hp) as I am not to familiar with which portion of the system actually meters the fuel amount going to each cylinder? time for more research I suspect!

Regards
Dennis

Injector nozzles are the same across the 180 and 200 HP 4-bangers, as is the flow divider (manifold on top of the engine). I'm not sure what the differences in the servos are, but my engine gurus tell me it's no problem setting up pretty much any of it for my O360-A1A. I'm in the same situation as you, converting from carb to FI. Talk to someone who knows their stuff... I was surprised at how simple the overall picture is.

If it was from an HIO-360-D1A you probably want to stay away. That is a horse of a different color as far as FI goes.

I pay attention to anything Mahlon says, so I had to go look that one up. Yep, it has its own Bendix model number, RSA-7AA1. Most of the helicopter engines seem to use an RSA-5AB1.

Look at the data plate on the throttle body.

Model numbers, applications, and part numbers:

http://www.precisionairmotive.com/rsa_servoapplication.htm

The system from the LIO-360-C1E6 should work, as is, with no modifications for any 180HP or 200 HP Lycoming 360.
Good Luck,
Mahlon