Shockwave

Well Known Member
From the corner blurb on Vetterman's site, it doesn't look like fuel injection and the muffled exhaust are compatible. Anyone know why? It doesn't look much different than the standard crossover with heat muffs that I can tell.

Not exactly sure, but it might have something to do with the likelyhood of filling the mufflers with fuel during engine start. With fuel injection it's very easy to dump a lot of fuel out the exhaust while cranking, and this could easily lead to a fire or explosion.

Larry's relpy.

I was planning to install dual mufflers on a IO-360 with horizontal induction.
I was also wondering if it'd be more heat if I put the heatmuffs in series or parallel.
I wrote Larry and below is his answer.

Alf, you cannot have mufflers with any horizontal induction as the pipes are under instead of ahead of the sump and that takes all the room away for mufflers.
The vertical sump set up allows the pipes farther ahead and a good set of mufflers can be installed. the additional heat box can go on the right side in front of the rudder pedals.
Most builders wives like the option of having their own heat control. There is more heat with two heat inlets rather than both in the same line. Larry

Yup... those of us with horizontal induction miss out on the ability to install some of the cool aftermarket goodies like Vetterman mufflers or a Sam James cowl (with a stock prop setup, anyway). But there's nothing I know of that would stop you from using the mufflers with a vertical fuel injection system.

mcb

make your own

I know the stock or aftermarket kit setups are not compatible with the horizontal induction. However, the fact that they may have to be routed differently does not mean it cannot be done. It is just going to take a little more design and effort.

I have an ECI IO-340 with forward facing induction. I have also been told I cannot put muffler(s) on my setup. My goal is to eventually work on some type of muffler setup. For now I am working to get the airplane flying. Once I do I will begin looking into muffling the exhaust.

dyq04z.jpg

Here is my IO360 with horz exhaust and one heatmuff. I've never been in a quite airplane, so a good headset (noise cancelling), is the way to go.

I also recommend dual heated seats, and for get about the second heat muff.:D

w6xbx3.jpg

Thanks for the info everyone. I don't have a dislike of the air scoop so vertical induction sounds like a viable option. I wonder if the horiz can use the air scoop and fit the exhaust crossovers? The sump looks a lot smaller. Maybe they'd fit in the subfairing?

Thanks for the horiz induction photos Chris, I'm not sure I'd seen the setup before.

I do want mufflers, as I don't like noise. Maybe I was a librarian in a previous life. :p