David-aviator

Well Known Member
I flew to South Carolina this past week end to attend the 101 course on fuel injection offered by Airflow Performance. Anyone interested in knowing more about the subject will not be disappointed. Don Rivera is an excellent instructor and Colleen an excellent hostess. There were 4 of us in the class and we had a great time Friday afternoon, all day Saturday and Sunday morning.

Don knows more about fuel injection than anyone on the planet (IMHO) and he genuinely enjoys sharing what he knows with we neophytes. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and recommend it to anyone wishing to expand their knowledge base on how it fuel injection works. Beyond the theory there was an in depth discussion regarding design challenges, charts on air flow, fuel/air ratio, turbo charged systems and fuel injection in the auto, boat and air race world where he began his business. The mechanical design and operation of the controller is most interesting. It is a technical marvel in its precision and design and yet relatively simple in how it works. We did hands on calibration work on the test equipment to illustrate how it all ties together with various nozzle sizes and air and fuel pressure changes. It was like a fire hose of information for just one week end but we did absorb much of it.

This course would be worth while or anyone with fuel injection, not just the AFP version. AFP is a certified repair station for Bendix, they know that system intimately.

The flight to and from Spartanburg was an absolute delight. After the copious amount of rain we received in October (over 12" vrs a norm of 2") our field finally dried out enough to fly by last Thursday. I still had some mud on the tires after landing in SPA but the launch was AOK. The 2 huge high pressure systems over the central part of the country made for some spectacular visibility and the winds were very mild, 10 knots tail wind going and almost calm returning. Also, wish to confirm that McMinnville, TN (RNC) is a great place to stop for fuel - $3.48 with excellent service by a good looking young woman on Friday and probably her grandfather on Sunday. :)

All in all a great week end....