Ben R

Well Known Member
I am new to the forum and also a new RV owner. I bought a flying RV-6 and I'm having issues with the fuel gauge. Mine has a single gauge (Westach, I believe) with a switch for the left and right tanks. The right tank reads full all the time and the left reads about 3/4 full. My mechanic and I removed the right wing root fairing today and checked the ground wire from the sending unit. It seems to be fine. The gauge read empty when we removed it and full when we put it back on. We tried to ground to a different source with the same result. The plane has about 750 hrs TT so I assume the gauge worked at some time (I'm the third owner). The probes are the resistive type and I'm doubtful that both sending units are bad but I'm looking for advice from anyone that's had a similar problem. I have a fuel computer that shows the amount used and remaining but I really want to have an accurate fuel gauge as well.

Aside from that, I LOVE the plane and I'm still grinning after 3 weeks :D! I'm also very impressed with the forum and all of the helpful information that it delivers! Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Sneaking in on Friday afternoon is now going unnoticed here! Most of the troopers are out on liberty (that is Navy talk for pass) I got duty and have to welcome newbies so.................

Welcome to VAF

A more knowledgeable VAF'er will be along shortly to answer your question. Until then "trust but verify" the fuel computer and carry a calibrated tank dipping stick.......... or keep your tanks full! ;)

You guys gotta football team this year? Those Razorbacks are pesky! RV-6x is a fine airplane until it runs out of fuel.

Last edited:
Welcome Ben..

One way to check your existing sender is to borrow a new or working unit, connect the wire to it and ground the body somehow, and move the arm up and down.

Best,

Sounds like the gauge is working properly; open wire =empty, grounded = full. You could also check the float by measuring the resistance at the sender with an ohmmeter, approx values for the Stewart Warner sender are: Full 29-33 ohms / Empty 244-250 ohms.
Caution: Use only a digital ohm meter to check the float.

Last edited: