bird

Well Known Member
Thinking about putting a dynon flightdek 180 in my -8 and was wondering about a fuel flow transducer. Some research showed to mount it in between engine fuel pump and carburetor. I would prefer to mount it right after the electric backup fuel pump that is mounted in the standard location. Does anyone know why that would not be a good location? To me keeping it away from engine heat and vibration would be good. I saw a mention about accuracy but don't understand how the accuracy could be different. One fuel line, flow should be same everywhere? thanks

bird

A lot of fuel flow sensors have been mounted just past the aux fuel pump. Mine is (RV6), and no problem. I did mount a fuel filter in the lines coming from each tank to the fuel tank valve.

That is a very common locaitonin RV-8's, for the reasons that you cite. Just be aware that you will, however, otice an increase in indicated fuel flow af about 1-2 gph when the Aux pump is turned on. Since you usually don't have it on for very long, this isn't a big deal, and the totalizer will always show just a little less fuel than you actually have - which is an error in the "safe" direction.

one more question

We have flow transducers at work that don't have any restriction or turbines in them. If I can find something like that, I wouldn't think that another filter would be necessary. Just the gascolator that I am planning on putting on the firewall. thanks

bird

My red cube is installed in tunnel just forward of boost pump in Van's specified location. Every single fillup is within 0.5 gallons. If I add 30 gal my efis will say I used 30.5 Gal. My tunnel stays cool but the transducer is still exposed to vibration.

Bird

They are most likely a Caliometric flow sensor, and not suitable for this application. Their accuracy range is most likely in higer volumes per minute.

For the record we have the original dynon flow sensor, and it is accurate to within 0.5L - 1.0L per tank load over 200L. That is a 1/4 gallon or less for our non metric friends! :)

I originally had mounted in that location but had inaccuracy issues. Any time the boost pump was on it would go up about 2 gph. It also fluctuated in flight but averaged reasonably well. I moved it between pump and carb and I now get an accurate, steady reading at all times.

cool

Thanks flybuddy and everyone else for the imputs. I haven't made a decision yet but working on it. thanks again

bird

cool

Thanks flybuddy and everyone else for the imputs. I haven't made a decision yet but working on it. Two things I'm kinda hung on. 1. Im not crazy about having another filter in my system besides a gascolator. 2. I am concerned about fuel leaks in engine compartment, maybe more than I should be. Feel free to enlighten me on these two subjects.

thanks again

bird

Unless you install an electric motor you need to have fuel lines :D

All FWF all lines should be flex lines (made by a reputable person/company), do that and nothing to worry about.

cube

When I installed cube in 182 I mounted it between gas sump and carb and made hoses to size to strap cube to engine mount with adel clamps works great going to do same in 6

hmm yeah electric

motor with vfd, that would be good!:eek: Thanks Walt and Turbo good advice. Now it looks like its going fwf. No errors and a good secure mount with flex lines wins...thanks guys.

bird