TX7A

Well Known Member
A discussion of fuel filters was in the General Discussion:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=3971
...but it seems the thread has died. I didn't get any response there, so I'll try here:

I have wanted to have an in-line filter before the selector valve. My focus has been trying to figure how to get a filter somewhere between the gearleg weldment of my 7A and the selector. The 4ILA filter 'might' be made to fit between the cover supports with a little mod.
After reading the post in the thread mentioned above and a similar post on the Matronics site, it looks like there is a workable solution with a wing root installation and the 4ILA filter.
Now I'm trying to visualize the plumbing for my plane.

Go to this website for pic & description of filter: :
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecId=3469

DOES SOMEONE HAVE A PICTURE OF THE WING ROOT SETUP?
...or description
...or further discussion

My 7A will have a 0-360 Mattituck

Thanks for anyone's help and discussion on this topic.

Sam

Last edited:
fuel filter

I am planning the same setup witht he fuel filters in the wing roots. I am interested in knowing the best way to mount the filters.

I have heard that some people are just putting the filter in the aluminum line between the fuselage and wing, without support. Others have suggested that mounting the filter to the fuselage with an adel clamp is better.

Any observations or suggestions?

I have a wingroot setup

That is pump, filter, relief valve all in one wingroot, duplicated on the other side. No mechanical pump.

If you just want a filter in there, there most certainly is room. I have an additional filter on the front of the spar between the weldment and the selector valve...Except I don't use it as a selector valve, its just an on/off valve in my case.

I might have a pic of the filter...How do I get it to you?

Frank

Filter is probably OK

But the flowrate is listed at 4GPM....what would be the pressure drop at 20GPM which is what your engine is going to pull....It will be 25 times what it will be at 4GPM!!!

Remember you have a suction system here so that pressure drop will result in a pressure reduction in the fuel. Probably not an issue but sucking on fuel is one of the factors in vapour lock.

I would have a look at www.Summitracing.com as well. They have a lot of gear. I bought something similar for about $25 I believe.

Frank

I've got one of these filters in each wing root held on with adel clamps. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

And did I read that my engine is going to pull 20 gallons per minute?!?! Please clarify.

Ooops

I spend all day at work talking about pumps in the hundreds of GPM range, Its hard to switch scales..

Try 20GPH....:)...As the filter is rated at 4gpM then its a non issue and will work fine.

I mounted the filters and pumps but making a standoff plate...I.e a plate the same length as the filter with a bolt at each end and spacers/washers between the plate and spar (or fuse side depending on where you put it) on the bolts.

This makes a nice gap to pass a hose clamp thru to anchour the filter down.

Frank

Curious

I'm just a little curious as to why you guys want a filter at the wingroot. Few, if any, factory airplanes have them hidden.

What little trash, if any, may be in the tanks prior to first flight will be caught in the firewall mounted gascolator and that can easily be accessed/changed. If you carefully fill your tanks, where is the trash gonna be coming from?

Unless I'm missing something, does it not seem a little like overkill? :confused:
Regards,

...just another decision

Pierre,

You are probably right.
I have read through most of the threads & fusses about fuel filters. There are points to be made ... both pro & con. I was on the fence about whether or not to have a filter. A couple of my local RV friends have been using filters before the fuel selector in their 6's for a few years. Both have said that they rarely get any trash in their filters...maybe a bug leg or a tiny bit of proseal every now and then.
It was just a decision I made to go ahead and do it. I'll have a filter in each wing root and I'm thinking about splitting my wing root fairing so I can get to the filter without so much unscrewing.

Sam

Single POF

Just easy to avoid the single point of failure.

Personally i like the pumps in the wingroots but thats for different reasons (mainly cus I'm comfortable with the system).

If I was going the dual fuel filter route I'd stick them on the spar. Much easier to get to.

Frank

pics

Frank,

Thanks for the offer of pics of your installation. I won't be putting pumps in my wing roots, but I do like the idea of a filter in each...the single point of failure thing.

You can post the pics here using Dougs instructions, or email them to me at [email protected]

If anyone else has a pic of the installation of a fuel filter in the wing root, I would appreciate seeing them.

Thanks

My reason for the filters was that my fuel flow transducer is in the plane and it calls for a filter.

4ILA Filter in RV-8A

The following is a link to a photo of the wing-root mounted filter on my RV-8A. Engine is supercharged Subaru. Put coarse filters in wing roots due to space limitations with duplex Andair valve & dual pumps. Also have 4ILA with 10 micron fine screen as final filter on firewall.

http://www.rv8.ch/gallery/v/moodyj/IMG_1593.jpg.html

John Moody
Melbourne, Australia