Jetjoc

I'm New Here
I have atempted to locate my fuel filter in an RV8 that I did not build. There is a gascolator but no filter. What are the current thoughts on just a gascolator? Yes I know that filters are better and maybe a filter for each tank is better yet. My question is a gascolator sufficient without the filter.

Plans don't include filters

The plans don't call out for a filter, just the gascolator. I have bounced back and forth on that decision and haven't made it yet. Not an expert, but it seems like the general consensus is that the gascolator is more susceptible to vapor lock in some installations. There are certainly some advantages to filters, but I would guess that the vast majority of RVs are flying with just a gascolator.

Roger
-9A slow QB

The plans don't call out for a filter, just the gascolator.

The basic plans may not call for a fuel filter, but if you have a fuel-injected engine and you install an Airflow Performance electric fuel pump, part of the installation includes mounting a big, honkin' fuel filter -- and, of course, that particular system does not include a gascolator.

For carburetor-equipped engines, a gascolator is certainly a pretty time-tested component, and works fine, as long as its limitations are understood and it is maintained, checked, and cleaned regularly.