Jesse

Well Known Member
"Ross McCurdy and Thierry Staint Loup set a world record aviation fuel efficiency with an 848-mile triangular flight in a Cessna 182 using only 56 gallons of fuel, which works out to 15.1 nautical miles per gallon. The fuel used was a 50-50 mix of jet aviation fuel and biofuel."

A world record? Really?! I did better than that on a regular basis in our RV-10. What am I missing?

"Ross McCurdy and Thierry Staint Loup set a world record aviation fuel efficiency with an 848-mile triangular flight in a Cessna 182 using only 56 gallons of fuel, which works out to 15.1 nautical miles per gallon. The fuel used was a 50-50 mix of jet aviation fuel and biofuel."

A world record? Really?! I did better than that on a regular basis in our RV-10. What am I missing?

Not very impressive, certainly, unless you start to box it in with caveats. Biofuel, certified airframe, diesel engine, etc.

No kidding. I saw that this past week on a trip out to Omaha with basically no wind (it was a crosswind). Coming back I had a screaming 40+ knot tailwind and saw 204 kts GS (160KTS TAS @ 11.3 gph) that was giving me over me 20mpg at times.

It looks like the record had not been claimed before in Class C1C (Combustion engines 1000-1750kg TOW).

So they could have done anything and still claimed the record. From the FAI site:

SUB-CLASS TYPE OF RECORD PERFORMANCE DATE CLAIMANT STATUS ID
C-1c Aeroplane Efficiency - 1 : internal combustion engine 9 km/kg 2016-07-12 Thierry Saint Loup (USA) preliminary record claim received 17886

I'm more curious about the fuel. Since jet fuel's octane rating is very low, the bio-fuel's must be very high, or else they did something else to supression detonation.

It's an SMA diesel conversion.

Yes, you can compete for the record, but the cost of all the invigilation and paperwork is the main deterrent. The C1a and C1b efficiency records are more like 30km/kg (I think a Sonerai holds one of them).

Efficiency

Klaus Savier went nonstop from Santa Paula to an airport near Lakeland.
8.7 hours
252 statute average speed
36 miles per gallon average
40 mpg in cruise
Does anyone remember what Dick Rutan's mpg was on the Anchorage to Grand Turk flight. That record still stands last time I checked.
Klaus's flight was apparently not a record attempt.

On a recent trip from Vermont to Florida in my 180HP RV8:
6500'- (19.4"mp x 2250RPM = 54%power) Fuel burn= 7.1 gph, 24.2 mpg.
TAS 150K, GS 153K, tail wind=3K part of the way.
Departed Highgate VT, KFSO, 60 nm south of Montreal CA.
1150 nm total, one stop in Richmond VA, arrived KGIF Winter Haven, FL
7.5 hrs flight time total.
Dick

Departed Highgate VT, KFSO, 60 nm south of Montreal CA.
WOW! I am reading under the assumption VT is Vermont and CA is California. If so, I guess I didn't realize Vermont was only 60 nm from California. Awww, but then again, I guess I should think international. In which case I guess you are referring to Canada. :D

I'm more curious about the fuel. Since jet fuel's octane rating is very low, the bio-fuel's must be very high, or else they did something else to supression detonation.

Bob, detonation, by definition is not possible. Octane does not apply as the air fuel is not premixed. In the diesel, the initial injection of fuel exhibits a short delay before it begins to ectotherm - burn. Following this "ignition" the fuel burn rate is controlled by the injection rate of the fuel, penetration into the chamber to react with oxygen and droplet sizes (controlled by fuel injection pressure)

Modern engines want to have a rapid heat release, and too much fuel too early (before ignition) results in the knock or rattle exhibited by many older diesels. Modern diesels have capability for multiple injection pulses and an initial pulse of 15 mm3 (or so) is enough to get the flame going, then the main injection takes place rapidly. This is why a common rail auto engine can sound so quiet.

The cetane rating would affect the initial delay, but with modification of injection, it is not an issue.

Canada

CA seems to be widely accepted for internet, for shipping/mail purposes Canada would be written in full after the 2 letter province designation. Yes I know the post about CA was in jest.

Bob, detonation, by definition is not possible. Octane does not apply as the air fuel is not premixed. In the diesel, the initial injection of fuel exhibits a short delay before it begins to ectotherm - burn. Following this "ignition" the fuel burn rate is controlled by the injection rate of the fuel, penetration into the chamber to react with oxygen and droplet sizes (controlled by fuel injection pressure)

Modern engines want to have a rapid heat release, and too much fuel too early (before ignition) results in the knock or rattle exhibited by many older diesels. Modern diesels have capability for multiple injection pulses and an initial pulse of 15 mm3 (or so) is enough to get the flame going, then the main injection takes place rapidly. This is why a common rail auto engine can sound so quiet.

The cetane rating would affect the initial delay, but with modification of injection, it is not an issue.

Wow. I know a lot more about diesel engine now than I did yesterday! Always good to learn